Building a Legacy
November 1, 2019 | by stephanie toews | photo by rob vanleggalo
The Backstory: History in the Making
“There is no substitute for hard work.” Thomas Edison
High school sweethearts and Montana-native couple Brian and Tana Ban were born and raised in Terry. Their Terry, Montana construction company was well known throughout the community. When they made the move to Billings 10 years ago, they had a lot of work to do to make a name for themselves here. Tana reflects on the early years in Billings when no one knew who they were. Fast forward a decade later and you will be hard-pressed to find a Billings resident who hasn’t heard of Ban Construction. The three-time winners of Billings Parade of Homes People’s Choice Award are proof that over 42 years of residential construction experience and hard work pays off.
Award Winning Style
Photos By Simply Family Staff Photographer
We sat down with Tana, Ban Construction’s designer and bookkeeper, over coffee (her beverage of choice at any party or gathering) to visit about her award-winning design style and their unique team. This delightful and down-to-earth soul is quick to divert attention from her design expertise and point out that their family-owned business, shared with the couple and their two sons Nick and Zeth, is very much a team effort. It operates successfully because of the “sub-contractors who are all one extended family, each highly skilled in their trade.” She explains the fluidity that comes from working with the same professionals job after job, creating an ideal working environment in which people thrive in their individual trades weigh in throughout the entire process.
The instant you step through the front door of this home it is quite apparent that an extreme amount of thought, talent, and craftsmanship went into its completion.
Tana has always had a love for design and furnishings as evidenced in this house. She says, “What shoes are for some ladies, furniture and accessories are for me, I love [home] accessories.”
While some might be completely overwhelmed by the task of designing a large home, Tana thrives on it. She likes to select one piece she loves and build on it; the copper hood was that piece in the kitchen.
Working closely with Anne Murphy, Time Square Furniture’s in-house designer, the pair successfully created a beautiful, warm, Montana modern feel with attention to every detail.
Now You See It…
Now You Don’t
The large walk-in pantry (ingenuously disguised as a cabinet) runs behind the refrigerator to maximize space and create a storeroom that dreams are made of.
One distinguishing feature Ban homes is known for is a faux textured wall, in this home it is located in one of the powder bathrooms.
- Appliances – Fred’s Appliance 406.894.2310
- Appliance Installation – Kosmann’s 406.252.7434
- Architect/Plan Design – Impact Drafting & Design 406.259.2110
- Artwork – Time Square Furniture 406.294.5266
- Audio/Video – Home Theaters & More 406.252.4928
- Bank/Lending – Stockman Bank 877.300.9369
- Cabinets – Kosmann’s 406.252.7434
- Clean-Up – Ban Construction 406.850.2138 or 406.697.4152
- Concrete Supplier – Knife River 406.651.2500
- Concrete Foundation – FKF Concrete 406.245.3110
- Countertops – Magic City Granite 406.252.1106
- Custom Closet, Doors (Interior) – Halton Homes 406.591.4123
- Door Hardware – A & H Turf 406.245.8466
- Doors (Exterior), Windows – Pella Windows & Doors 406.656.1516
- Doors (Garage) – Bailey Garage Doors 406.656.2905
- Drywall Materials – Pacific Supply 406.254.8876
- Electrician – GPS Electric 406.581.3536
- Faux Finishing – Ban Construction 406.850.2138 or 406.697.4152
- Fireplace – Fireplace Center 406.259.9690
- Flooring/Tile – Rich’s Flooring 406.248.3656
- Furniture – Time Square Furniture 406.294.5266
- Insulation – Billings Insulation 406.256.1956
- Interior Design/Décor – Time Square Furniture 406.294.5266 & Ban Construction 406.850.2138 or 406.697.4152
- Interior Trim – Kosmann’s 406.252.7434& Halton Homes 406.591.4123
- Lighting Fixtures – Rimrock Lighting 406.652.3574
- Masonry – Harper Masonry 406.248.3003
- Mirrors – Time Square Furniture 406.294.5266 & Montana Glass and Shower Door 406.690.6467
- Paint Supplier – Sherwin Williams 406.252.0048
- Painter – Ban Construction 406.850.2138 or 406.697.4152
- Pool – 5 Star Pool & Spa 406.794.3509
- Roofing Supplies – Pacific Supply 406.254.8876
- Siding, Soffit/Fascia Supplier – Bloedorn Lumber 406.259.4534
- Tile Installer – DW Hill Flooring 406.861.9658
- Trusses – Pride Industries 406.655.1200
- Window Coverings – All Kinds of Blinds 406.839.8055
CK Tech Security: 'Seamlessly Bringing It All Together'
Whether you’re a small business owner or homeowner CK Tech provides a number of services including custom security systems, smart home and theater solutions for home or business, and alarm monitoring for intrusion, fire, flood, and temperature.