Life with Mikey (a doggie day in the life)
by Mikey Stewart (with the help of Rebecca Stewart)
It’s been 700 days since I first met my people. Dad always likes to tell the story of how on the day they came to meet my siblings and me, they had planned on choosing my sister; but I had other plans. As my people-mom sat in the grass snuggling each one of us in turn, I knew I had to make my move. I boldly crawled into her lap and promptly (and adorably, if I do say so myself) fell asleep. Every time she tried to set me down to give someone else a turn, I knew what I had to do: climb right back in her lap. I might have also marked my territory…
When all was said and done, Mom always says it was a no-brainer, how could they not pick the one who had chosen them? We were meant to be.
By the time you read this I will be 2 (people) years old, looking forward to celebrating my 2nd Gotcha Day in October. I am a pretty chill guy. Mom likes to say that I’m very “people-y,” like when I snore or use my paws for pillows or give her the stink eye. Hey, it’s not my fault that she sneezes and laughs SO loud. Mom also says that I always have to be at the center of everything. What? If hugs and loves are being doled out, shouldn't the biggest love of all be involved? I think yes. So, Mom asked me to give you guys a peek at “Life with Mikey;” here goes:
- If I didn’t manage to scam my way into having someone sleep with me downstairs, I start off my mornings with a few “gentle” reminders that I am ready to go potty AND to have my people be with me.
- Right now, my girl keeps leaving me during the days again. Mom says Abby has to go to “School,” I think she should stay with me.
- I really love it if someone snuggles with me on the couch. I super love it when I can lay behind their knees with my head on their legs.
- During the day, I like it best if Mom pushes buttons on the thing that sits on her lap in a chair where she can have her legs up so I can lay on them. Really her lap should be just for me, but she says I have to share.
- The best is when Mom or Dad or my girl throws my babies around for me to catch. They say I am crazy fast.
- Mom likes to brag that I learned how to swim on my first try. I am quick like that.
Things I like to bark at…
- Mom always tells me I don’t need to bark at this stuff called “Weather,” but sometimes it is SO noisy. Doesn’t she know I am protecting them?
- Speaking of protecting my family, when people come to our door, they for sure hear me. I am super fierce. Sorta. I mean, well, you know.
- Okay, so you know that crazy bright light that shines during the day? All of a sudden it just decides to go away. It’s weird. I feel like I should bark at that. Every day.
Most of all, I just love to be with my people. They are my best, and I am theirs.