It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown – 2019 air date
October 20, 2019 | web editor
If you're a family that's all about tradition, or you just want the kiddos to experience a gem from your own childhood, then you'll definitely want to mark your calendar for the annual showing of It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Scheduled to air Tuesday, October 22, 2019 on ABC at 7:00pm (locally, in Billings), this Halloween classic offers the perfect opportunity to snuggle on the coach with the kids. Too busy to hit the pause button during the week, there will be a bonus airing on Sunday, October 27 (6:00pm, locally), which will also include the cartoon, You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown.
Immediately following the PEANUTS special on Tuesday evening is a showing of Toy Story of Terror! and if the kids are still riding the high of experiencing Toy Story 4 this summer, then this is certainly must-watch viewing.
If you're not familiar with It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, go ahead and settle in for a little history. This Charles M. Schulz creation made its first televised appearance in 1966. In this animated special, the PEANUTS gang celebrates Halloween with Linus staking out the pumpkin patch, hoping against hope that he will finally be treated to a visit by the Great Pumpkin, while our favorite down-on-his-luck kid gets invited to a Halloween party, but has a less than stellar trick-or-treating experience.
“I got a rock.”
You will also get to experience Snoopy’s first ever “flight” as a World War I flying ace and relish quotable moments like…
- Linus: “He’ll come here because I have the most sincere pumpkin patch and he respects sincerity.”
- Linus: “Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker.”
- Sally: “I was robbed! I spent the whole night waiting for the Great Pumpkin, when I could have been out for trick or treats…You owe me restitution!”
- Linus: “There are three things I have learned never discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.”
- After Lucy assures Charlie Brown that it’s completely and utterly safe to kick the football – there’s a signed document and everything… “Peculiar thing about this document: it was never notarized.”
Meanwhile, You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown, features Linus running for class president with Lucy and Charlie Brown managing his campaign.
So, set that DVR or mark your calendar, but whatever you do, don’t forget to get your annual fix of the Halloween special, It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown on ABC. There might be Halloween movies galore, but the airing of this animated special seems to be the kickoff to all of the holiday specials to come.