September 2019 Family Fun Freebies
September 1, 2019 | by b davis
School might be back in session, but that doesn’t mean that the fun has to stop. There are lots of events to enjoy on the weekends as a family and events during the school day for the younger kiddos. Most importantly, all of these events are free!
BILLINGS PUBLIC LIBRARY
- Wednesday/Friday Fun at the Library, 3-4:45pm– Play games and build LEGOS from 3-4:45pm, every Wednesday and Friday at Billings Public Library in the Craft Corner!
- Friday Night Fun: Open House – Friday, September 6, 6:30-8pm. Open house and farewell to Ms. Cindy, the children’s librarian, who retired on August 30.
- READ to a Dog – Saturday, September 7, 11am-12pm. Each reading child will sign up for one 15 minute time with a dog of their choice. Sign up happens on the day of the program. READ to a Dog program is a chance for children to read to a dog one on one. Sometimes, children may have a difficult time reading, and reading to a dog can bring a feeling of non-judgment, which makes reading a more relaxing and fun experience. With bringing the Intermountain Therapy dogs here, it creates that relaxed feeling in a safe and comfortable environment.
- Discover the Fun with the Master Gardeners and “The Incredible Apple” – Tuesday, September 10, 11-11:30am. After the apple-themed story time join the Master Gardeners and learn about the parts of an apple and their function then create your own apple to take home.
- Friday Night Fun: Downtown Chic Out! – Friday, September 13, 6:30-8:30pm. We cordially invite you to return to Downtown Abbey for an evening tea Chic Out! Wear your fanciest hat, dress or suit and come enjoy the show's finale while drinking tea and making a fascinator hat. The event will take place in the Community room.
- Friday Night Fun: BINGO Night – Friday, September 20, 6:30-8pm. Meet at 6:30 in the community room to play BINGO!
- Make and Take Fall Hedgehog Craft – Monday, September 23, 3-4:45pm. For the first day of fall, come make a cute hedgehog craft! Clean up begins at 4:45pm. No registration needed and all children under the age of 8 MUST be accompanied by an adult.
- Montana Repertory Theatre Performance: Love that Dog! – Wednesday, September 25, 7-8:30pm. LOVE THAT DOG is a one-person play adapted from the book by Sharon Creech. A young student ruminates on the confusing, pointless nature of poetry and the complete impossibility of a person writing their own poems. But over the course of the play, a young poet emerges with the help of a teacher, a pencil, some yellow paper, and, of course, a dog. This play is fun for all ages.
- Friday Night Fun: Harvest Fest – Friday, September 27, 6:30-8pm. We will be celebrating Fall with treats, crafts, and autumn related activities in the Community room!
MONTANA AUDUBON CENTER
- Open House– Saturday, September 21, 11am-3pm. Open House at the Montana Audubon Center is a great time to explore the great outdoors and ask a naturalist any questions you might have.
- Healthy by Design Gardener’s Market at South Park – Every Thursday in September, 4:30-6:30pm. The market provides an opportunity for residents to purchase fresh, local and affordable produce, eggs, meat, preserves, baked goods and crafts. The market accepts cash, debit, credit, WIC and SNAP. There are also a variety of family-friendly activities to take part in each week. (October 3 is the last day for this season's Gardener's Market).
- This House of Books: Game Night – Every Thursday in September, 5-8pm. We get underway a little after 5 at your independent bookstore and tea shop in downtown Billings. Learn a new game or revisit an old favorite, quaff some tea, browse community a few books, and have a good time. We have a large library of games to demo and play—or feel free to bring your own. While you're here, enjoy a variety of drinks and snacks! Families, teens, children singles, couples, friends all enjoy game night! We have games for everyone. The action continues until about 8.
- Wise Wonders: First Free Friday Night – Friday, September 6, 5-9pm. Visit Wise Wonders every first Friday of the month for free from 5pm to 9pm!
- Billings First Friday’s – Friday, September 6, 5-8pm. Invite your friends, family, colleagues, neighbors and more to spend each and every First Friday in the heart of our community. Billings First Friday's celebrates and highlights what our local shops, restaurants, cultural venues, and nightlife hotspots have to offer from 5:00pm - 8:00 pm the first Friday of every month. Participating shops and businesses will host special events, offer refreshments & promotions, and sponsor live entertainment. Everyone is welcome to attend!
- Paint at Aspinwall For First Friday – Friday, September 6, 5-8pm. Come and paint Montana Decor at Aspinwall. A painting experience for kids or adults offering a FREE 6 in Montana wood cutout to paint and make their own!
- First Friday at YAM – Friday, September 6, 5-9pm. Stop by the YAM every First Friday! Each month the museum will feature either an artist, musician, or lecture series. Free parking and free admission to our current art exhibitions
- Yellowstone Valley Farmers Market – Every Saturday in September, 8am-12pm. Celebrate the success of local food growers and producers, and create a vibrant community gathering with fresh food, live entertainment and fun!
- Billings Pride 2019 – Saturday, September 7, 2-8pm. We are celebrating Pride in Billings on Saturday, September 7, 2019. There will be a Pride parade downtown followed by a festival in North Park.
- Oxxfest 5 – Saturday, September 14, 11-6pm. Free admission is our way to say thanks to the community for their fantastic support. There’ll be a beard competition run by Beard Mountain, local musicians providing live music, factory tours, regional craft vendors, prizes to give away, and a good time to be had. Western Ranch Supply has sponsored a petting zoo as well as pony rides for the kids young and old. Face painting and a coloring contest to keep your kids smiling and regional arts and crafts like 504 Square Feet Pottery, Montana Lathe & Chisel, Red Sky Designs, Girlwood and many more.
ROSE PARK ELEMENTARY
- Rose Park Elementary Inclusive Playground Open House – Saturday, September 21, 11-1pm. The Rose Park PTA & Every Child Plays Playground Committee would like to invite you to join in celebrating the grand opening of the playground! There will be a ribbon cutting, food, LIVE music, a special donor recognition ceremony, and of course, PLAYTIME! We cannot wait to open this new FULLY inclusive play space to the entire Billings Community!
- Brickhouse at Josephine Crossing – Tuesday, September 3, 5-8:30pm. Every September, the Josephine Summer Concert Series must come to an end. But we always do it in style. The amazing local cover band Brickhouse will close us out with an epic dance party. As always, the concerts are free, open to the public, and support local non-profits. Food trucks will be on hand to keep us fed, and the Billings West End Exchange Club will be selling beer and wine with a portion of proceeds going to our non-profit for the evening. Bring the whole family, tell all your friends, and get yourself out to Josephine Crossing for some summertime fun. The opener for our last show is the ever talented Lindsey Jacobsen. Playing the guitar and ukulele, her lovely voice and creative spin on music will leave you hungry for more. The beneficiary for the final show (as always) is the Elysian School PTO. Who is ready to throw pie in the faces of their favorite teachers?
- Kids’ Workshop: Scarecrow Planter – Saturday, September 7, 9-12pm. Harvest the fun during our hands-on workshop where you and your child can build a scarecrow planter. Your young farmer can learn how a seed grows while you help them construct a festive home for their plant. They will sand, glue, and paint pieces of wood to create this holiday planter. All Kids Workshop attendees must be accompanied by a parent or adult at all times. All kids get to keep their craft, receive a FREE certificate of achievement, a Workshop Apron and a commemorative pin while supplies last.
BARNES & NOBLE
- Celebrate Our One Millionth Story time with Dr. Seuss’s Horse Museum – Saturday, September 7, 11am. Celebrate Barnes & Noble's one-millionth Story time this weekend! Join us to read a never-before-released Dr. Seuss book about creating and looking at art. Plus, stay for activities and giveaways including free crayons (while supplies last).
- Celebrate Our One Millionth Story time with Hey Grandude! – Sunday, September 8, 11am. Celebrate Barnes & Noble's one millionth Story time this weekend! Join us to read Sir Paul McCartney's first picture book about the fun that grandparents and grandkids can have together. Plus, enjoy fun activities and a Confetti Cupcake for $1.50 with any Café purchase.
- Batman Day Event – Saturday, September 21, 2pm. It's Batman Day! Join us to celebrate 80 years of Gotham City's greatest defender with a photo standee, memory game, and activities.
- Demigod Day Event – Saturday, September 28, 2pm. Calling all Rick Riordan fans! Celebrate your favorite book series with activities featuring a scavenger hunt, a secret code postcard, and more! Plus, get a giveaway poster (while supplies last).
- JcPenney Kids Zone – Saturday, September 14, 11-12pm. Let the kids decorate their own crazy shades at the JCPenney Kids Zone! The activity kits include sunglasses, whimsical unicorn or crazy crocodile foam stickers, their own foam sunglasses case, and a cute collector's pin.
- Movies Under the Stars: Coco – Saturday, September 13, 6-10pm. Join Billings Kiwanis for Movies Under the Stars at ZooMontana. The gates will open at 6pm and the movie will begin at dusk. Free admission! Awesome concessions!
- Home Improvement Show – Friday-Sunday, September 6-8. Rimrock Promotions, the region’s number one Home Show Producers, presents the Fall Home Improvement Show. Find indoor and outdoor home improvement products and get advice from the experts. Siding, decking, home decor, lighting, bath fixtures, lawn care, home spas, and more can be found at the Home Improvement Show! The show is free to the public. Show Hours: Friday- Noon to 8 p.m. Saturday- 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday- 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Labor Day Festival – Sunday, September 1, 12-4pm. We are excited to have you join us for our Labor Day Festival! Join us for Free Hot Dogs, Games, Cooking Seminars, Free Digital Download Photo, Samples, Kids' Craft, and More!
B Davis is a local mom with two kids, a girl and a boy. She is a stay at home mom who loves to find and cook new meals, keep the kids busy with free events, and binge watch lots of TV shows. In her free time, she likes to catch up with her mom friends, go on dates with her husband, and volunteer at her church.