January 2020 Family Fun Freebies
January 1, 2020 | by b davis
The holidays are behind us, and a new decade is here! While I am sad we didn’t have a white Christmas, I’m in love with this warmer (than normal) weather we’ve been having. We’ve been to the zoo, parks, and have taken lots of walks these past couple of weeks. If you are like me, you are likely ready for the kids to go back to school, but if your New Year’s Resolution is to spend more time with the kids, or to save money, then this list of family free events is perfect for you!
BILLINGS PUBLIC LIBRARY
- Wednesday/Friday Fun at the Library, 3-4:45pm– Play games and build LEGOS from 3-4:45pm, every Wednesday and Friday at Billings Public Library in the Craft Corner!
- Friday Night Fun: Oatmeal Cookies & Tea Party – Friday, January 3, 6:30-8:00pm. Celebrate National Oatmeal Month and National Hot Tea Month in January! There will be oatmeal cookies and tea, along with coloring pages and various oatmeal and tea themed activities.
- READ to a Dog – Saturday, January 4, 11am-12pm. Each reading child will sign up for one 15 minute time with a dog of their choice. Sign up happens on the day of the program. READ to a Dog program is a chance for children to read to a dog one on one. Sometimes, children may have a difficult time reading, and reading to a dog can bring a feeling of non-judgment, which makes reading a more relaxing and fun experience. Bringing the Intermountain Therapy dogs here, it creates that relaxed feeling in a safe and comfortable environment.
- Yoga Story Time – Thursday, January 9, 4-5pm. Enjoy a story and find your Zen through movement and mindfulness. All children are welcome with no prior registration —just be sure to show up on time! Mats will be available to borrow. Contact the Children’s Desk and 406-657-8256 for more information.
- Friday Night Fun: Cardboard Forts – Friday, January 10, 6:30-8:30pm. Come make a cardboard fort! Supplies provided by the Library, you provide the imagination. Prizes awarded for the most creative building efforts!
- January Make and Take Craft – Monday, January 13, 3-4:45pm. Too cold (or possibly not enough snow) for building Frosty the Snowman outside? Visit the Library for a cozy and fun Make and Take Craft creating cute snowman out of puffy paint! No registration is necessary. All children under 8 years old must be supervised by an adult.
- Friday Night Fun: Flashback Friday The Goonies – Friday, January 17, 6:30-8pm. It's Flashback Friday! and we're re-winding to 1985 for an evening with our favorite Goon Dock pals, The Goonies! Help us celebrate with crafts, cocoa, a little bit of Truffle Shuffle, and a whole lot of adventure! *Movie is rated PG.
- Kids in the Kitchen – Thursday, January 23, 4-5pm. Calling all kid foodies! Join in as we learn about the food pyramid and how to be safe in the kitchen. After a quick lesson kids will get the opportunity to make fun, no bake, healthy snacks they can enjoy during the winter season. Please register your 7-12 year old in person at the Children’s Desk or call 406-657-8256.
- Friday Night Fun: Dinosaurs – Friday, January 24, 6:30-8:30pm. Join in an evening of dinosaur fun! Track dinosaurs through the library, dig for dinosaur bones, and enjoy tasty treats and more!
- Billings Symphony Orchestra Adventures in Music Day (AiM) – Saturday, January 25, 9-11:30am. Join the Billings Symphony Orchestra at Billings Public Library for their annual Adventures in Music Day featuring Flat Stanley! Come and test out a trombone, beat on a drum or pluck a bass. This event is FREE and will be all over the first floor of Billings Public Library. When you come in, get your passport which will help direct you to Percussion Plaza, Brass Boulevard, String Street and Woodwind Way! At 12pm, BSO&C's Family Concert: Flat Stanley will be presented at the Lincoln Center (tickets are $5 each!). Thanks to Eckroth Music, Hansen Music, Kirk’s House of Music and Galt String Gallery for making this day possible.
- Friday Night Fun: Inspire Your HeArt with Art Day – Friday, January 31, 6:30-8:30pm. Release your inner Michelangelo! Create your own work of art - try out different crafts and media to find your artistic home.
MONTANA AUDUBON CENTER
- Open House– Saturday, January 18, 11am-3pm. Open House at the Montana Audubon Center is a great time to explore the great outdoors and ask a naturalist any questions you might have.
- Wise Wonders: First Free Friday Night – Friday, January 3, 5-9pm. Visit Wise Wonders every first Friday of the month for free from 5pm to 9pm!
- First Friday at YAM – Friday, January 3, 5-9pm. Stop by the YAM every First Friday! Each month the museum will feature either an artist, musician, or lecture series. Free parking and free admission to our current art exhibitions.
- GoUnite: Help Cook a Meal at The Ronald McDonald House – Wednesday, January 22, 4:30-6pm. Having a child staying an extended amount of time in the hospital is so hard on a family. So let’s bring a little light to their day by cooking them a great homemade dinner! We will be preparing and cooking a taco/nacho bar for the families staying at the Ronald McDonald House. We will be preparing, cooking and serving and will need volunteers for multiple roles. This is a family friendly volunteer event and we are encouraging kids to come and be involved in the serving process. If you would like to stay and eat and visit with the community at the Ronald McDonald House, you are welcome. Sign up early as we cannot take more than 20 volunteers for this volunteer opportunity. RSVP here: https://gounitebillings.com/community-project-volunteer-at-the-ronald-mcdonald-house
- Kids’ Workshop: Mini Hockey Game – Saturday, January 4, 9-12pm. Face off with fun in this Mini Hockey Game Workshop. Kids develop hands-on skills by sanding, nailing, painting and more. With help from parents and Store Associates, your child will create their own game. All Kids Workshop attendees must be accompanied by a parent or adult at all times. All kids get to keep their craft, receive a FREE certificate of achievement, a Workshop Apron and a commemorative pin while supplies last.
BARNES & NOBLE
- Story time and Activities Featuring Grumpy Monkey – Saturday, January 4, 11am. Jim the chimpanzee is in a terrible mood and has a bit of a meltdown when everyone starts giving him advice as to what makes THEM happy. Sometimes everyone just needs a day to be GRUMPY! This book shows kids they are allowed to demonstrate their feelings without hurting others in the process. Activities to follow!
- Story time and Activities Featuring The Return of Thelma the Unicorn – Saturday, January 11, 11am. Thelma the Unicorn is reluctant to share her horn and sparkles again, but with the help of her best friend Otis, she realizes the importance of spreading love and joy no matter what people think. Activities to follow.
- Escape This Bookstore! Event – Saturday, January 11, 2pm. Join us as we explore the newest addition to the exciting Escape This Bookstore! series. Decide your destiny by solving puzzles and riddles to pass each challenge and get to the next adventure! For ages 8-12.
- Story time and Activities Featuring Nobody Hugs a Cactus – Saturday, January 18, 11am. Hank is the prickliest cactus in the entire world and everyone stays away from him. But he is beginning to discover that being alone can be, well, lonely. Join us for Story time and activities to follow.
- Story time and Activities Featuring How to Catch a Dragon – Saturday, January 25, 11am. Celebrate Lunar New Year with this fun Story time! The wily dragon will have to avoid trap after trap as the kids run through paper lanterns, red envelopes, fireworks, and more! Join us and color your own paper lantern to take home.
- JCPenney Kids Zone – Saturday, January 11, 11am-12pm. Decorate your own Here We Grow height chart.
B Davis is a local mom with two kids, a girl and a boy. She is a stay at home mom who loves to find and cook new meals, keep the kids busy with free events, and binge watch lots of TV shows. In her free time, she likes to catch up with her mom friends, go on dates with her husband, and volunteer at her church.