August 2019 Family Fun Freebies
August 1, 2019 | by b davis
I swear summer goes by quicker every year. School starts in less than a month so now is the time to get out and enjoy some family time together before the hustle and bustle settles back in. There are many free events coming up this month, which will help you save your money for MontanaFair!
BILLINGS PUBLIC LIBRARY
**Weekly Story Times and Discover the Fun are on break August 5-17**
- Wednesday/Friday Fun at the Library, 3-4:45pm– Play games and build LEGOS from 3-4:45pm, every Wednesday and Friday at Billings Public Library in the Craft Corner!
- READ to a Dog – Saturday, August 3, 11am-12pm. Each reading child will sign up for one 15 minute time with a dog of their choice. Sign up happens on the day of the program. READ to a Dog program is a chance for children to read to a dog one on one. Sometimes, children may have a difficult time reading, and reading to a dog can bring a feeling of non-judgment, which makes reading a more relaxing and fun experience. With bringing the Intermountain Therapy dogs here, it creates that relaxed feeling in a safe and comfortable environment.
- Kids Ice Cream Social – Friday, August 9, 2-3pm. You scream, I scream, we all scream for ice cream! Celebrate the end of summer with an Ice Cream Social sponsored by Achieve Montana. Along with yummy ice cream, enjoy a fun craft and photo ops.
- Billings Symphony Presents Stillwater String Quartet Performing a Kids Concert: Disney Hits – Thursday, August 15, 2-3pm. Join Billings Symphony’s own Stillwater String Quartet as they entertain us with some of the greatest hits of Disney. No registration is required and all children and families are welcome.
MONTANA AUDUBON CENTER
- Open House– Every Saturday in August, 11am-3pm. Open House at the Montana Audubon Center is a great time to explore the great outdoors and ask a naturalist any questions you might have.
- Bat Hike – Friday, August 23, 9-10:30pm. Dive into the mesmerizing world of bats! Join Megan O’Reilly from Fish, Wildlife and Parks to learn cool bat facts, and then head out with special acoustic equipment to find them. Bring a flashlight and good walking shoes. Free for all! Space is limited, register in advance.
- Montana Audubon Center’s Walking Trails and Shepard Nature Playspace are open to the public dawn to dusk, daily, free of charge. No dogs please. www.mtaudubon.org.
- Healthy by Design Gardener’s Market at South Park – Every Thursday in August, 4:30-6:30pm. The market provides an opportunity for residents to purchase fresh, local and affordable produce, eggs, meat, preserves, baked goods and crafts. The market accepts cash, debit, credit, WIC and SNAP. There are also a variety of family-friendly activities to take part in each week.
- Alive After 5 with Magic City Blues – Thursday, August 1, 5-8pm. This spectacular music festival kicks off this year on Thursday night at Downtown Billings' ALIVE AFTER 5. This all-ages free event, featuring Louisiana's high-energy zydeco group, Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band Official Site, will be on the Stillwater Stage at McCormick Cafe on Montana Avenue from 5pm to 8pm.
- Wise Wonders: First Free Friday Night – Friday, August 2, 5-9pm. Visit Wise Wonders every first Friday of the month for free from 5pm to 9pm!
- Art Walk – Friday, August 2, 5-8pm. The third of six events in Downtown Billings that showcases area artists and their work. Gallery talks, exhibits of new and historic pieces, family activities, music and refreshments. So much fun!
- Art Walk: Kids Crafts & Live Music at Well Pared (downtown) - Friday, August 2, 5-9pm. FREE Kids Smoothies & FREE Kids Crafts. In partnership with Billings Art Walk, Well Pared will be hosting artist Janelle DeBray and musician Angie Langeliers at their Downtown location (2710 1st Ave N). Enjoy nutritious creations from Well Pared while crafting with a local artist and enjoying local music! Art & Craft table will be open for any age, just bring your creativity!
- Billings First Friday’s – Friday, August 2, 5-8pm. Invite your friends, family, colleagues, neighbors and more to spend each and every First Friday in the heart of our community. Billings First Friday's celebrates and highlights what our local shops, restaurants, cultural venues, and nightlife hotspots have to offer from 5:00pm - 8:00 pm the first Friday of every month. Participating shops and businesses will host special events, offer refreshments & promotions, and sponsor live entertainment. Everyone is welcome to attend!
- This House of Books: Theater for Kids – Monday, August 5, 2-3:15pm. DeLaney Kay lives and breathes theater. Her presentation will engage participants in improvisational games and team exercises. She will take the participants on an adventure of their choosing, in a vehicle of their imagination, made from only the simple materials Delaney provides them.
- Yellowstone Valley Farmers Market – Every Saturday in July-September, 8am-12pm. Celebrate the success of local food growers and producers, and create a vibrant community gathering with fresh food, live entertainment and fun!
- This House of Books: Radio in the Video Era – Monday, August 12, 2-3:15pm. Continuing on the theme of hobbies that kids can start and carry on across the years, William Stearns will introduce us to the wide world of radio. There is no better hobby for learning physics and electromagnetism
- 2019 Burn the Point Parade & Street Dance – Friday, August 30, 6:30-10:30pm. The parade route begins at the intersection of 3rd Avenue and 27th St moving West for several blocks before turning East on 2nd Avenue towards the Skypoint.
TOWN & COUNTRY LANES AND LOUNGE
- Kids Bowl Free. 12-10pm. M-F, May 28-Aug 30. Town & Country Lanes and Lounge, 6126 Hwy 312. Children under the age of 18 can bowl 2 free games per day, only paying $2 for shoe rental. Register: www.kidsbowlfree.com/tclanesmt. 406.373.5100.
- Arterial Drive at Josephine Crossing – Tuesday, August 6, 5-8:30pm. The summer concert series just wouldn't be complete without a show featuring Arterial Drive. Arterial Drive is a six member band from Montana. Despite their different influences and backgrounds, these musicians share the ability to GROOVE. As always, the concerts are free, open to the public, and support local non-profits. Food trucks will be on hand to keep us fed, and the Billings West End Exchange Club will be selling beer and wine with a portion of proceeds going to our non-profit for the evening. Bring the whole family, tell all your friends, and get yourself out to Josephine Crossing.
- Ricardo Lemvo & Makina Loca at St. Johns Summer Concert Series – Thursday, August 1, 6-8:30pm. John Roberts and Tony Roberts will open.
- Young Dubliners at St. Johns Summer Concert Series – Thursday, August 8, 6-8:30pm.
- Kids’ Workshop: Rocket Pencil Box – Saturday, August 3, 9-12pm. Take school work to another galaxy in this hands-on workshop where you and your child can build a rocket pencil box. Your young aerospace engineer can study the anatomy of a rocket while you construct a handmade case together. Once your rocket pencil box is built, your child can decorate it with paint and stickers. All Kids Workshop attendees must be accompanied by a parent or adult at all times. All kids get to keep their craft, receive a FREE certificate of achievement, a Workshop Apron, and a commemorative pin while supplies last.
BARNES & NOBLE
- Storytime and Activities Featuring the Pigeon HAS To Go To School! – Saturday, August 3, 11am-12pm. Enjoy fun activities to prepare kindergartners as they begin a new adventure.
- Summer Jam at Rimrock Mall – Friday, August 2, 6-10pm. Summer Jam at Rimrock Mall is a FREE, fun, family-friendly event space. Summer Jam will give the West End of Billings a chance to enjoy the summer weekends in a fun outdoor area! Admission the concert is FREE and there will alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages available for purchase. This week, enjoy the sounds of Harvest Church.
- JCPenney Kids Zone – Saturday, August 10, 11-12pm. Make a cool Nerf target board. In addition, they will get their FREE JCPenney Kids Zone lanyard & ID Badge!
- Summer Jam at Rimrock Mall – Friday, August 16, 6-10pm. Summer Jam at Rimrock Mall is a FREE, fun, family-friendly event space. Admission the concert is FREE and there will alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages available for purchase. This week, enjoy the sounds of Jonah Morsette Band.
- Summer Jam at Rimrock Mall – Friday, August 30, 6-10pm. Summer Jam at Rimrock Mall is a FREE, fun, family-friendly event space. Admission the concert is FREE and there will alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages available for purchase. This week, enjoy the sounds of Downtime.
- Movies Under the Stars: Bumblebee – Saturday, August 3, 6-10pm. Join Billings Kiwanis for Movies Under the Stars at ZooMontana. The gates will open at 6pm and the movie will begin at dusk. Free admission! Awesome concessions! The movie will be BumbleBee and concession sales will benefit Family Services.
- Movies Under the Stars: Captain Marvel – Saturday, August 31, 6-10pm. Join Billings Kiwanis for Movies Under the Stars at ZooMontana. The gates will open at 6pm and the movie will begin at dusk. Free admission! Awesome concessions! Fabulous concessions, which benefit various local non-profits.
- Movie in the Park: Hotel Transylvania 3 – Friday, August 2, 7-11:30pm. Food and fun start at 7 and movie starts at sunset. Bring your blankets and chairs, friends and family. *Dates and Locations are subject to change, check fireflymovieco.com for more details.
- All Euro Car Show – Saturday, August 24, 9am-3pm. Mark your calendars for August 24 for the 12th All Euro Car Show. We hope to see you there.
B Davis is a local mom with two kids, a girl and a boy. She is a stay at home mom who loves to find and cook new meals, keep the kids busy with free events, and binge watch lots of TV shows. In her free time, she likes to catch up with her mom friends, go on dates with her husband, and volunteer at her church.