20 promises from Mom
Mother’s Day is quickly approaching. (It’s Sunday…Like, this Sunday, May 8…Just in case you didn’t know, and you haven’t bought your mom a card yet — you might want to get on that.) This Mother’s Day is especially poignant for me — this is the last Mother’s Day before we Tomes forever become a family of five. Everything is about to change, again. The change is good, but things will be different. I know this. And I want my girls (all three of them) to know that my love for them never will. I want to freeze this moment in time. And just relish in it for a second. Here are 20 promises for my sweet babies on this most special of days. Savannah, Emma Kate, and Brooklyn Olivia: this one’s for you.
20 Promises from Mom this Mother's Day...
- I promise to love you unconditionally. All three of you. Even when you get a little older and try to raid my closet. Mommy’s designer shoes and handbags are off-limits. Get a job and buy your own.
- I promise to support you even when you make decisions I don’t agree with — and when you fall down, I will be right there to pick you up, brush you off, and send you back out into the world.
- I promise to introduce you to (read: force you to try) lots of different kinds of foods. Picky eaters are the worst.
- I promise to make a concerted effort not to act like a controlling, raging, maniac. I admit it may happen on occasion — I am only human, and I want what is best for you. But I will try to keep this obnoxious behavior to a minimum.
- I promise (to try) not to yell.
- I promise to let you be your own person (within reason). I promise to treat each one of you as individuals, and not little mini-clones.
- I promise to see the good always, and not dwell on the less than perfect.
- I promise to encourage you.
- I promise to laugh with you.
- I promise to be silly with you.
- I promise to be the kind of wife, mother, and friend that I would want you to become.
- I promise not to blame you for my own (occasional) failures and unhappiness.
- I promise that I will learn from my (parenting) mistakes.
- I promise to try my best. Every single day. Even when I’m really, really tired.
- I promise to say yes as often as I can.
- I promise to teach you to be a responsible, respectable member of society.
- I promise to teach you about God, and the beauty of living a life bigger than yourselves, and about treating your neighbors as you want to be treated. I pray that you will make the decision to have faith, and to always put faith first and foremost.
- I promise to read to you often.
- I promise to answer the phone when you call. No matter how late.
- I promise to be here for you forever and always.
Happy Mother’s Day from all of us at Simply Family Magazine! xoxo
About the author…After three blissful years in the Treasure State, Jessica recently moved back to Houston, Texas with her hunky husband and her two precious little girls, Savannah and Emma Kate. They are expecting a third baby (girl) this summer! Jessica is a small business owner with a degree in Broadcast Journalism, and a nerd-like love for political science. She is passionate about writing, marketing, social media management, and this wonderfully beautiful mess we call parenthood.