When Grandparents Go Rogue
September 1, 2016 | by rebecca stewart
Have you ever wondered what alternate universe you’ve slipped into as you watch the people who raised you with the grandbabies? It would seem the crucial component of “becoming grandparent” is shedding the mantle of responsibility that comes with the actual day-to-day raising of the next generation and throwing on the sparkly hat of spoiler, cookie-provider, and all things fun.
We didn’t think Webster’s definition did the title of grandparent justice, so we dug deeper:
That’s all fine and dandy, warm and fuzzy, but seriously:
What happened to the rule-following, no snacks before dinner, “No, you don’t need another toy” people who raised us???
As we know, it’s all a matter of perspective. So we’ve compiled a list of some of the head-scratching things that our parents have done in the name of being: Grandma/pa:
- The classic, when I was a kid it was "You will eat what I cook or you will go to bed hungry; this isn't a restaurant!" But with grandkids it is, "If they don't like [whatever it is they are cooking], I can cook them something they will like." –Rachel Ramos
- Spaghetti in the living room!!! Seriously!! –Lyndsey Archila
- Mom: “Okay, pick up kids, time to go.”
Grandma: “Oh, don’t make them do that!”
Her daughter: “Say what now?!”
And you know grandparents are in TOTAL denial…
My own mother: “What....I say...what? I am completely innocent!”
Me: “Nah, you never drop a: ‘But she was hungry! Another stuffed animal? Why not! [Justification] But it was just so cute!’”
My own mother: “ALL VERY LEGITIMATE COMMENTS!”
But then there are moments like these…
- When my girl was just a little bit, I arrived at my parents’ house to snag my girl after a grandpa-Abby day to find her nails painted and tales of tea parties.
- Sitting in all the gymnasiums and auditoriums and traveling all over the everywhere to watch their grandchildren in the activity of the moment.
- Grandpa is always ready to show any and everyone photos of his granddaughter’s drawings, videos of his grandson’s latest singing showcase, or give a play-by-play of the latest great play of the game…
- Gramma making the favorite goodies just because she thought you’d be popping by.
So maybe they go rogue once in a while, grandparents, but you know what? We wouldn’t have it any other way.
Originally printed in the September 2016 issue of Simply Family Magazine
Never miss an issue, check out SFM's digital editions here!