November 2019 Family Fun Freebies
November 1, 2019 | by b davis
October has come and gone, and it seems, took autumn with it. Sadly, the leaves barely had a chance to change colors before the cold hit. This time, I’m determined to not let November sneak by. I’m going to take advantage of all the free events coming up to make sure this holiday season starts out on the right foot.
BILLINGS PUBLIC LIBRARY
- Wednesday/Friday Fun at the Library, 3-4:45pm– Play games and build LEGOS from 3-4:45pm, every Wednesday and Friday at Billings Public Library in the Craft Corner!
- Friday Night Fun: Celebrate the Day of the Dead! – Friday, November 1, 6:30-8:30pm. Learn about the history of Day of the Dead while watching the Disney-Pixar movie Coco! Treats will be provided!
- Check Meow’t – Saturday, November 2, 9am-12pm. Come join the Yellowstone Valley Animal Shelter and their furry friends at the Billings Public Library. Adoptable cats and kittens will be taking over the Community Room from 9 AM to 12 PM for Check Meow't (think of a cat cafe, meets a library)! Come pick out a good book and cuddle up with an adoptable cat - there's no better way to spend a chilly, Saturday morning!
- READ to a Dog – Saturday, November 2, 11am-12pm. Each reading child will sign up for one 15 minute time with a dog of their choice. Sign up happens on the day of the program. READ to a Dog program is a chance for children to read to a dog one on one. Sometimes children have a difficult time reading and reading to a dog can bring a feeling of non-judgment, which makes reading a more relaxing and fun experience. By bringing the Intermountain Therapy dogs here, it creates that relaxed feeling in a safe and comfortable environment.
- Friday Night Fun: Addams Family Values – Friday, November 8, 6:30-8:30pm. Get ready for Thanksgiving and recuperate from Halloween with a free showing of Addams Family Values. Color your favorite character, or work a Thanksgiving crossword. Help yourself to popcorn and juice.
- Friday Night Fun: Thanksgiving BINGO! – Friday, November 15, 6:30-8:30pm. It's BINGO night, with a Thanksgiving theme. Prizes for each round will follow the theme, too. Please consider bringing cans of food to donate to needy families for this holiday. We'll pass them on to local service providers.
- MSUB Service Saturday Story Time and Discover the Fun – Saturday, November 16, 10:30-11:30am. As a part of MSUB’s Service Saturday promoting education, students, staff, and faculty volunteers will participate in a special “On the Farm” Story Time at 10:30 am as well as help facilitate a farm-themed sensory bin Discover the Fun activity following Story Time.
- Make and Take Slime Craft – Monday, November 18, 3-4:45pm. Visit the library to make a batch of slime! No registration required for this program. Clean-up begins at 4:45 pm. All children under the age of 8 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Harry Potter Celebration – Saturday, November 23, 11am-2pm. The most magical event of the year! Join us as we celebrate all things Harry Potter. There will be wand making, a costume contest, and photos with the green screen, snacks, face painting with Face Painting by Terri Porta, balloons from Billings Best Balloons, a scavenger hunt and more. ZooMontana will also be here to give a special presentation about some of their Fantastic Beasts! Butter beer and other delicious treats will be available to purchase in the Stompin Grounds Cafe! Thank you to the Friends of Billings Public Library for sponsoring this event!
- Friday Night Fun: A Christmas Story – Friday, November 29, 6:30-8:30pm. Christmas is coming and all Ralphie wants is a Red Ryder BB Gun with a compass on the stock! Take a break from Black Friday and join us for snacks and a screening of this beloved movie starring Peter Billingsley, Melinda Dillon, and Darren McGavin. (1983, PG)
MONTANA AUDUBON CENTER
- Bat Week Celebration – Friday, November 1, 4:30-6pm. Bat week is an annual, international celebration of the role of bats in nature. Although we may not always see them, bats are hard at work every night eating tons of insects, pollinating flowers, and spreading seeds that grow new plants and trees. Join us and MT FWP to learn about and celebrate these fascinating, flying mammals! Free and family-friendly No pre-registration necessary.
- Outdoor Skills Expo – Saturday, November 2, 9:30-11:30am. Join MSU-Billings’ Outdoor Adventure Leadership Program for this family-friendly outdoor skills exposition. Learn all the essentials you need to get outdoors hiking and camping. Sessions will include essentials for an overnight backpacking trip, basic knots and hitches, fly casting, and essentials for day hikes and survival kits. Free for all, advanced registration preferred.
- Open House– Saturday, November 16, 11am-3pm. Open House at the Montana Audubon Center is a great time to explore the great outdoors and ask a naturalist any questions you might have.
- Wise Wonders: First Free Friday Night – Friday, November 1, 5-9pm. Visit Wise Wonders (3024 2nd Ave N) every first Friday of the month for free from 5pm to 9pm!
- Billings First Friday’s – Friday, November 1, 5-8pm. Invite your friends, family, colleagues, neighbors and more to spend each and every First Friday in the heart of our community. Billings First Friday's celebrates and highlights what our local shops, restaurants, cultural venues, and nightlife hotspots have to offer from 5:00pm - 8:00 pm the first Friday of every month. Participating shops and businesses will host special events, offer refreshments & promotions, and sponsor live entertainment. Everyone is welcome to attend!
- First Friday at YAM – Friday, November 1, 5-9pm. Stop by the YAM every First Friday! Each month the museum will feature either an artist, musician, or lecture series. Free parking and free admission to our current art exhibitions.
- GoUnite: Assemble Senior Food Bags with Family Services – Saturday, November 16, 12-2pm. Come volunteer with us for GoUnite's November Community Project. Family Service assembles Senior Commodity Food Bags every month that are delivered to seniors in our community who are in need of a little help. Come join us in filling and preparing these commodity bags. They are made up of items like peanut butter, spaghetti sauce, noodles, juice and many meal staples. Many of these seniors do not have transportation and these commodity bags are the only groceries they receive all month. Bring the kiddos too, they can help prepare bags or a table will be setup where they can color holiday cards for the seniors.
- Yellowstone Art Museum Free Day – Friday, November 29, 10am-5pm. Native American Heritage Day, Five days of the year the YAM offers FREE DAYS. Come visit the museum free of charge.
- Downtown Holiday Parade – Friday, November 29, 7-8:30pm. The Holiday Parade is a long-time tradition for the Billings community to usher in the holiday season on the Friday after Thanksgiving. With families gathered for the weekend to eat and shop, the Holiday Parade is a great way to celebrate the season by joining the community to see over 100 floats decorated for the holiday theme with Santa riding as the parade finale.
- Kids’ Workshop: American Eagle – Saturday, November 2, 9-12pm. You’ll be proud to complete this project using everything in the American Eagle kit. Learn to use a hammer, fine sandpaper, wood glue and a Phillips screwdriver. Assemble the bird’s basic shape and its wings, and then add fun stickers. Paint the piece to bring it to life, and then build the base to help your bird stand tall. All Kids Workshop attendees must be accompanied by a parent or adult at all times. All kids get to keep their craft, receive a FREE certificate of achievement, a Workshop Apron and a commemorative pin while supplies last.
BARNES & NOBLE
- Storytime and Activities Featuring The Crayons’ Christmas – Saturday, November 2, 11am. The Crayons are back---just in time for the holidays! Join us for Storytime and activities featuring this unique, new book and see how Duncan, the crayons, and their families celebrate the season.
- Storytime and Activities Featuring Jack Frost vs. the Abominable Snowman – Saturday, November 16, 11am. A thrilling adventure awaits you pick your path and decide how the story Jack Frost vs. the Abominable Snowman unfolds! The big day has arrived and the racers are set. Will you follow Jack Frost, the mischievous racer with magical winter powers? Or will you follow Abe, the lovable Abominable Snowman with a few surprises up his sleeve?
- Storytime and Activities Featuring Anna, Elsa and the Secret River and Frozen 2 Little Golden Book – Saturday, November 23, 11am. Get ready for Frozen 2, in theaters on November 22nd, with these two new books featuring the magic and adventure of the new movie.
- Storytime and Activities Featuring Dear Santa and Cookies for Santa – Saturday, November 30, 11am. Join us for Storytime and activities featuring two books about cherished holiday traditions for families.
- JCPenney Kids Zone – Saturday, November 9, 11am-12pm. Design a Frozen 2 backpack.
- L.O.L. Surprise! Winter Disco Event – Saturday, November 16, 11-2pm. Find the sparkle of the season at the L.O.L. Surprise! Winter Disco event at both Target locations. Color cutout sunglasses, and take a picture at the photo booth. Free giveaways while supplies last.
B Davis is a local mom with two kids, a girl and a boy. She is a stay at home mom who loves to find and cook new meals, keep the kids busy with free events, and binge watch lots of TV shows. In her free time, she likes to catch up with her mom friends, go on dates with her husband, and volunteer at her church.