March 2019 Family Fun Freebies
“At least there are no mosquitoes?” That basically sums up how I feel about the weather right now. I guess Mother Nature is catching up from the mild start to winter, but I am over the cold and snow. At least there are a lot of fun, free, and warm events coming up this month to get the family out of the house!
BILLINGS PUBLIC LIBRARY
- Wednesday/Friday Fun at the Library– Play games and build LEGOS from 3-4:45pm, every Wednesday and Friday at Billings Public Library in the Craft Corner!
- Special Discover the Fun – Saturday, March 23, 11-11:30am. After Kite Story Time at 10:30am, join the Master Gardeners and explore bugs that help gardens in a fun “Flying Garden Friends” activity.
- Spring Make and Take Craft - Monday, March 18, 3-4:45pm. Join us for a flowerpot Make & Take Craft in the Craft Corner. No registration is necessary.
- READ to a Dog – Saturday, March 2, 11am-12pm. Each reading child will sign up for one 15 minute time slot with a dog of their choice. Sign up the day of the program. This program is for children who like to read, children who have a hard time reading, or who just like to be with dogs, to sit and enjoy the calming comforts of a dog. With bringing the Intermountain Therapy dogs here, it creates that relaxed feeling in a safe and comfortable environment.
- STEAM Exposition – Saturday, March 2, 11am-2pm. Join the Girl Scouts of Montana and Wyoming, along with some other fantastic local organizations, at the Billings Public Library to explore topics in Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math! Venture to different booths where you can learn more about zoo animals (and maybe meet a few furry friends), robotics, geodes, and other amazing subjects! Girls will earn a fun patch at the end of the day for all the new things they've learned! We welcome all girls and their families and friends to join us for the day! Girls do not need to be a registered member of Girl Scouts to participate.
- Friday Night Fun: Game Night – Friday, March 1, 6:30-8pm. It's Friday nights for free family fun at BPL! Join in for a night of board games and fun with Legos! There will be treats!
- Friday Night Fun with Pancakes! – Friday, March 8, 6:30-8pm. For National Flour Month and a belated National Pancake Day, come see a demonstration on our own pancake printer! Learn about the world-wide history of pancakes. We will also be watching "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" (yes there are pancakes in this movie!).
- Friday Night Fun: Ides of March Toga Party – Friday, March 15, 6:30-8pm. Beware the Ides of March! Join us March 15th at 6:30 pm as we mark this auspicious date with all things Roman. There will be movie showing along with snacks and toga contest. Come in your toga or bring a sheet and we will help you tie your own.
- Friday Night Fun: Women’s History Scavenger Hunt – Friday, March 22, 6:30-8pm. Come celebrate Women's History Month with a library-wide scavenger hunt! The hunt starts at 6:30pm under the Oculus; those who complete the hunt will win a prize!
- Friday Night Fun: Stranger Things Geek Out! – Friday, March 29, 6:30-8pm. Come and celebrate the awesomeness of Stranger Things! Eat Eggos, get your picture taken and more!
MONTANA AUDUBON CENTER
- Open House– First and third Saturdays, March 2 & 16, 11am-3pm. Open House at the Montana Audubon Center is a great time to explore the great outdoors and ask a naturalist any questions you might have.
- Wise Wonders: First Free Friday Night – Friday, March 1, 6-8pm. Visit Wise Wonders every first Friday of the month for free from 6pm to 8pm!
- Yellowstone Art Museum Free Day - Friday, March 1, 5-9pm. This Friday is free entrance between 5-9pm at the YAM, where they are offering some kids art classes while partnering with the Zoo! (There is a charge for the classes, but entrance to the museum is free).
- This House of Books Game Night – Every Thursday night from 5-8pm for Tabletop gaming. They have a large library of games to demo, or feel free to bring your own. While there enjoy a variety of drinks and snacks!
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Celtic Fair – Saturday, March 16, 10am-4pm. A tradition in the Billings community for over 30 years, this parade celebrates a cherished part of our heritage and features approximately 100 floats. This celebration takes place the weekend of St. Patrick’s Day and is accompanied by the corresponding outdoor Celtic Fair. Filling the square with the scent of street food and the sound of Irish dance music, cloggers, bag-pipers and celebration, the Celtic Fair includes a stage with programmed entertainment and amplified music setting a festive atmosphere for locals as they enjoy food for the occasion from outdoor food trucks and local restaurants.
- Kids’ Workshop: Clock Tray – Saturday, March 2, 9am-12pm. Spark a conversation about one of the oldest inventions in this hands-on workshop. Together you and your timekeeper can build a freestanding clock with easy-to-read numbers, movable hands and a storage tray to house reminders or important trinkets. Use as a learning clock to make telling time fun or as a tool to encourage the value of time. Once your clock is built, your child can customize it with paint and stickers. All Kids Workshop attendees must be accompanied by a parent or adult at all times. All kids get to keep their craft, receive a FREE certificate of achievement, a Workshop Apron, and a commemorative pin while supplies last. Children must be present at the store to participate in the workshop and receive the kit, apron and pin.
BARNES & NOBLE
- Dr. Seuss’s Birthday Storytime – Saturday, March 2, 11am. Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss! Brave the weather for Story time, games, and activities in celebration of the beloved author's birthday. Get a coupon from the Café for a grilled cheese sandwich with milk or juice for $4!
- Lego Architecture Event – Saturday, March 9, 6pm. Join fellow builders to construct the newest in the LEGO Architecture series, San Francisco.
- Leprechauns and Limericks Event – Saturday, March 16, 2pm. Come to Barnes & Noble to get your official leprechaun name, become a master limerick writer, learn how to leprechaun-proof your home, and take home fun giveaways as we celebrate the release of Ronan Boyle and the Bridge of Riddles.
- Escape This Bookstore! Event – Saturday, March 23, 2pm. Explore the exciting new Escape This Book! Series. Decide your destiny by solving puzzles and riddles to pass each challenge and get to the next adventure!
- JJCPenney Kids Zone – Saturday, March 9, 11-12pm. Design a Charming Bead Bash. This is for school-aged children. Parents receive a 10% off coupon for use in store on the day of the event only.
- Dr. Seuss’s Birthday – Saturday, March 2, 10-11:30am. Come celebrate with readings of What Pet Should I Get at the top of every half hour. Dr. Seuss giveaways, fun activities, and more. At time of publication, only available at the Target in the Heights but call Target West End to double check.
- Home Improvement Show – Friday, Saturday and Sunday, March 1-3. Friday, 12-8pm. Saturday, 9am-6pm and Sunday, 10am-5pm. Rimrock Promotions, the region’s number one Home Show Producers, presents the Spring Home Improvement Show. Find indoor and outdoor home improvement products and get advice from the experts. Siding, decking, home decor, lighting, bath fixtures, lawn care, home spas, and more can be found at the Home Improvement Show! The show is free to the public.
PILGRIM CONGRESSIONAL CHURCH
- Saturday Night Arm Wrestling and Games – Every Saturday Night 6:30-8pm. Learn a new sport, make new friends, play air hockey, Foosball, and more. Free dinner, all are welcome.
about the author…B. Davis is a stay at home mom to two children, begging Spring to finally arrive.