Last Day of School Celebrations
May15, 2019 | by rebecca stewart
We’ve made it! The end of another school year. While some schools have been out for a bit, Billings School District 2 is officially ringing the last bell on the 2018-’19 school year on May 31. And with the kids staring a summer of freedom in the face and the grown ups in their world looking forward to the more laid-back vibe that summer vacation brings, we are ready to help you celebrate!
To truly revel in this last day of school we’ve rounded up the family fun freebies happening around town on our last day of school as well as some ideas to get your family’s summer started on the right foot.
Last Day of School Celebrations:
pre-last day of school…
- Friday Night Fun: Camp Out! @ Billings Public Library – Friday, May 24, 6:30-8pm. It’s Billings Public Library’s last Friday night before BPL starts their summer hours (closing at 6pm on Fridays through the summer). So come out and join the fun as they bring the camping to you. Come join in a night of pre-summer camping fun in the Community Room!
last day of school family fun…
- Summer Jam @ Rimrock Mall – Friday, May 31, 6-10pm. Summer Jam at Rimrock Mall is a free, fun, family-friendly event space. Summer Jam aims to give the West End of Billings a chance to enjoy the summer weekends in a fun outdoor area! Admission to the concert is free and there will alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages available for purchase. This week enjoy the sounds of 7th Avenue Band.
- Firefly Outdoor Movie Company: The Incredibles 2 @ Pioneer Park – Friday, May 31 7-11pm. Kick off the summer with our superpowers! Food and fun start at 7pm and the movie starts at sunset. Bring your blankets and chairs, friends and family. *If weather does not cooperate, they will reschedule for Saturday evening, same place, same time. Check FB for details.
FINDING YOUR SUMMER FUN
- Summer Wardrobe – Over the last few years, my family has started a tradition for the last day of school that we all start eagerly anticipating in April. My parents and I pick up the kids from school (noon dismissal), head to lunch, and then spend the afternoon doing a bit of shopping to give their summer wardrobes a fresh start.
- S’mores – Get the firepit going and roast (maybe) your first s’mores of the summer!
- Old School Movie Adventure – Pile the family into the car and head out to the Amusement Park Drive-In for a movie under the stars from the comfort of your own vehicle.
- Ice Cream, You Scream… Gather up all the fixings for an ice cream party at home. Go the distance: Root Beer Floats, Banana Splits, homemade Milk Shakes, Sundaes complete with syrup, sprinkles, and whipped cream!
- Family/Neighborhood Wiffle Ball Game – I ask you, is there anything better than getting the fam together for a raucous game of wiffle ball (followed up by a run to your favorite ice cream/yogurt shop)? I think it goes without saying, but if your smack talk game is on point, it makes everything all the more fun. Trust me.
- Water Wonderland – Weather-cooperating, the last day of school is the perfect day to bust out the slip ‘n’ slide or get the sprinklers going, OR stock up on water balloons.
- Spa Afternoon – We’re officially rocking sandal weather, so let’s get those toesies ready for showing off. Whether you make an appointment for after the last bell rings for a pedicure or DIY at home, it’s a winning choice!
- Summer Fun Bucket List – Perhaps as your chilling around the firepit, get started on creating your family’s Summer Fun Bucket List – the big, the middle, the little ideas to keep the summer cruising.
A Swipe Away
Currently, the average time a child spends on a screen is 7+ hours a day. Yet, here lies a major dilemma for us as parents.... keeping them safe from the crazy happening on the internet and teaching them how, when, and why technology can be used for good; essentially technology etiquette.