June 2019 Family Fun Freebies
June 1, 2019 | b davis
“School’s out for summer!” (Did you sing that in your head like I did?) Summer is my favorite season, and I feel blessed to call Billings home. There is so much to do around town: farmers’ markets, hiking, swimming, watching the planes take off, the list goes on forever. Don’t let summer boredom get you and the kids down; here is a list of free events to make everyone happy!
BILLINGS PUBLIC LIBRARY
- Wednesday/Friday Fun at the Library– Play games and build LEGOS from 3-4:45pm, every Wednesday and Friday at Billings Public Library in the Craft Corner!
- READ to a Dog – Saturday, June 1, 11am-12pm. Each reading child will sign up for one 15 minute time with a dog of their choice. Sign up happens on the day of the program. READ to a Dog program is a chance for children to read to a dog one on one. Sometimes, children may have a difficult time reading, and reading to a dog can bring a feeling of non-judgment, which makes reading a more relaxing and fun experience. Bringing the Intermountain Therapy dogs here creates a relaxed feeling in a safe and comfortable environment.
- Saturday Space Movies: Wall*E – Saturday, June 8, 2-4pm. Transport to a galaxy not so far away for a cosmic comedy adventure about a determined robot named WALL-E. After hundreds of lonely years of doing what he was built for, the curious and lovable WALL-E discovers a new purpose in life when he meets a sleek search robot named EVE. Rated G, Running Time 98 minutes
- Special Story Time: Master Gardeners – Saturday, June 15, 10:30-11:30am. Join the Master Gardeners as they share their love of gardens and strawberries. You get to take home your very own strawberry plant.
- Saturday Space Movies: Flight of the Navigator – Saturday, June 15, 2-4pm. David Freeman is an ordinary boy destined for a most extraordinary adventure -- aboard a spectacular, futuristic spacecraft. After a mystifying disappearance, David returns, possessing vast, undiscovered knowledge about the farthest reaches of the universe. Rated PG Running Time 90 minutes.
- Summer Reading Block Party – Saturday, June 22, 11am-2pm. BPL’s annual summer block party is going to be out of this world! The StarLab from the Museum of the Rockies will be there! There will be balloons from Billings Best Balloons and face painting by Terri Porta. The Wise Wonders Children's Museum, SCA, Barony of Bronzehlem, and local community organizations such as 4-H will be here!
- Some of the activities are photos with the green screen, space and sci-fi themed costume contest, rock painting, build your own alien landscape, tie dye, Lego Robotics and more! If you get hungry from all the fun local food trucks Snowie Mt. and Smoky Bones BBQ will be on site!
- Make and Take Craft - Monday, June 24, 3-4:45pm. Join in for a Make and Take Craft from 3-4:45 pm. in the Craft Corner. No registration is necessary.
- Saturday Space Movies: Mars Needs Moms – Saturday, June 29, 2-4pm. Martian hatchlings are springing up out of the ground on Mars, and there's a desperate need for a good mom to raise the babies. Mars matriarch "The Supervisor" sets her sights on Milo's mom because she's doing such a good job raising Milo down on Earth, and she quickly abducts her. Rated PG, Running Time 88 minutes.
MONTANA AUDUBON CENTER
- Open House– every Saturday in June, 11am-3pm. Open House at the Montana Audubon Center is a great time to explore the great outdoors and ask a naturalist any questions you might have.
- SpringFest at Moss Mansion – Saturday, June 1, 8am-4pm. Now in its 31st year, SpringFest has become an exciting welcome to summer at the Moss Mansion in Downtown Billings, MT. This juried art festival features artwork and hand-crafted items submitted for selection by our experienced group of artists and artisans for an enjoyable day of shopping, entertainment, and learning on the beautiful grounds. Walk among the quaint booths of jewelry, paintings, photography, pottery, clothing, metalwork, woodcrafts and more while great food, live music, and dancing fill the air with delightful sights, sounds, and aromas.
Admission to the grounds is free, and the museum is open at regular rates for the summer season.
- This House of Books Summer Series for Kids: Where’s Your Creativity? – Monday, June 3, 2-3pm. This S.T.E.A.M. Summer Series for Kids is back! Mark your calendars for Mondays from 2 to 3 this summer and bring the children for a fun exploration of many things in science, technology, engineering, art, and math. In the kickoff event, member-owner and author Aaron Rosen will read from his book, explore ways to express creativity, and talk with children about how they can be creative. The fun and rhythmic text in his book looks at ways children can express themselves creatively each day and sets imaginations alight with ideas. With bold and colorful illustrations, this book explores all areas in which children can express their individual creativity, including dance, music, food, literature, and art. The presentation will be suitable for children as young as 3 years of age.
- Yellowstone Art Museum YAM Free Days – Thursday, June 6, 10am-5pm. Five days of the year the YAM offers FREE DAYS. Come visit the museum free of charge.
- Alive After 5 with Kicking Karma – Thursday, June 6, 5-8pm. Join us for Alive After 5 at The Pub Station on Thursday, June 6! Outdoor live music in the street from Monsters of Rock Tribute with Kicking Karma. Admission with alcohol wrist bands is $2 for 21+. Admission is free for ages under 21! Come party with us and 3,000 of your closest friends on a Summer Thursday night! The first 250 people will receive Alive After 5 stickers! Dickey's Barbecue Pit and Montana Melt will be on site serving food.
- Wise Wonders: First Free Friday Night – Friday, June 7, 5-9pm. Visit Wise Wonders every first Friday of the month for free from 5pm to 9pm!
- Artwalk – Friday, June 7, 5-9pm. ArtWalk, celebrating its 25th season, includes extended hours for galleries, art studios, museums, restaurants, in Downtown Billings. All ArtWalk events are free to public.
- Billings First Fridays – Friday, June 7, 5-8pm. Invite your friends, family, colleagues, neighbors and more to spend each and every First Friday in the heart of our community. Billings First Fridays celebrates and highlights what our local shops, restaurants, cultural venues, and nightlife hotspots have to offer from 5:00pm - 8:00 pm the first Friday of every month. Participating shops and businesses will host special events, offer refreshments and promotions, and sponsor live entertainment. Everyone is welcome to attend! First Friday is coordinated and promoted by the Downtown Billings Alliance. Monthly themes offer a variety of experiences for our whole community to enjoy. A full list of participating businesses and their First Friday offerings are listed monthly in the Gazette's 'Enjoy' publication.
- Strawberry Festival – Saturday, June 8, 8am-5pm. Located in the streets of Downtown Billings, the Strawberry Festival is a long-time cherished community event that opens the summer season on the second Saturday in June. Experience rich diversity in arts and crafts, fresh produce and strawberries, the scents of food-truck fare from Asian to BBQ, live street entertainment, and a 60′ strawberry shortcake created by the Chefs and Cooks of Montana. With an interactive children’s area including free crafts and activities for all ages, this draws people throughout the northwest region to Downtown Billings under Skypoint at 2nd Ave N. and Broadway.
- This House of Books Summer Series for Kids: Rocking Around the Rims – Monday, June 10, 2-3pm. Gavin Woltjer will present a hands-on program about regional geology. This program will feature “hard science,” after all, what could be harder than rocks?
- Woltjer, best known as the director of the Billings Public Library, is also a trained geophysicist. His program will include a discussion of the Rims around Billings and will feature an activity on the identification of rocks and minerals. In conjunction with his program, Woltjer will be giving away 10 geology kits. These will include some mineral samples as well as equipment to help identify them.
- One of the lovely things about exposing children to geology is that it can lead to a significant hobby of rock collecting. Any 5-year-old can walk down a road and pick up a few interesting rocks and then begin to classify, understand, and explain them.
- Alive After 5 with Exit 53 – Thursday, June 13, 5-8pm. This week’s offering of this summer concert series is at Daisy Dukes! Outdoor live music in the street from Exit 53. Admission with alcohol wrist bands is $2 for 21+. Admission is free for ages under 21! Mia’s Wok and Montana Melt will be on site serving food.
- Healthy by Design Gardener’s Market at South Park – Every Thursday starting June 13, 4:30-6:30pm. The market provides an opportunity for residents to purchase fresh, local, and affordable produce, eggs, meat, preserves, baked goods and crafts. The market accepts cash, debit, credit, WIC, and SNAP. There are also a variety of family-friendly activities to take part in each week.
- Firefly Outdoor Movie Company: Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse – Friday, June 14, 7-11pm @ Optimist Park. Food and fun start at 7 and movie starts at sunset. Bring your blankets and chairs, friends and family. *If weather does not cooperate it will be rescheduled for Saturday evening, same place, same time. Check FB for details.
- Alive After 5 with Cole and the Thornes – Thursday, June 20, 5-8pm. This week’s outdoor concert is at Überbrew! Outdoor live music in the street from Cole & The Thornes. Admission with alcohol wrist bands is $2 for 21+. Admission is free for ages under 21! Überbrew will be serving food.
- Kid’s Day at the Annex Coffeehouse & Bakery – Sunday, June 23, 12-2pm. Join the industry kids, Harlan and Grey, for a fun-filled day with all your besties. There will be free kid snacks and activities inside and out. Capture a picture under the rainbow by Font & Figure. Sweets by Sam and Bumps n Bundles will be there to join in the fun. Invite your friends or meet someone new. All ages are welcome on this day of fun!
- Alive After 5 with Tim Montana – Thursday, June 27, 5-8pm. This week’s outdoor concert is at Hooligan's Sports Bar! Outdoor live music in the street from Tim Montana. Admission with alcohol wrist bands is $2 for 21+. Admission is free for ages under 21! The first 250 people will receive AA5 koozies! Montana Melt and Stacked, a Montana Grill will be on site serving food starting at 4:30pm!
- Kids’ Workshop: Putting Green – Saturday, June 1, 9am-12pm. Exercise mental strength with a game of tabletop golf. In this hands-on workshop you and your child can discuss the mindset, jargon and strategy of the sport as you build a putting green to master your hole-in-one. Once your course is built, your child can look forward to decorating it with paint and stickers. All Kids Workshop attendees must be accompanied by a parent or adult at all times. All kids get to keep their craft, receive a FREE certificate of achievement, a Workshop Apron, and a commemorative pin while supplies last. Children must be present at the store to participate in the workshop and receive the kit, apron and pin.
- Symphony in the Park at Pioneer Park – Sunday, June 23, 4-9pm. Experience music under our beautiful Big Sky with Billings Symphony Orchestra & Chorale’s 47th annual Symphony in the Park! The largest concert, and most visible component of Explore Music!, wraps up another season and introduces many to live, symphonic music. This is a favorite Billings tradition; bring your blanket or lawn chair and relax to an evening of music while enjoying picnic fare from participating food sponsors.
ROCKY MOUNTAIN COLLEGE
- Festival of Cultures at Rocky Mountain College – Sunday, June 23, 10am-4pm. Join in this day of fun and adventure. Grab your passport from the booth and travel around the world, collecting stamps as you learn about the culture and diversity that is here in our own community. Watch local talent perform, grab a bite to eat from food truck row, or grab a gift from one of our many vendors.
- Reptile Roundup – Saturday, June 22, 12-2pm. See how the West was fun! Meet a bearded dragon, create a mini habitat, and more! Plus, get 40% off all Zoo Med™ products on event days! Available at both Petsmart locations.
BARNES & NOBLE
- Storytime and Activities – Every Saturday in June @ 11am. Each week will feature a different story and activity, see website for more details.
- Summer Jam at Rimrock Mall – Friday, June 7, 6-10pm. Come have some Summer Fun at Rimrock Mall! Summer Jam at Rimrock Mall is a FREE, fun, family-friendly event space. Summer Jam will give the West End of Billings a chance to enjoy the summer weekends in a fun outdoor area! Admission to the concert is FREE and there will be alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages available for purchase. This week enjoy the sounds of Mojo.
- JcPenny Kids Zone – Saturday, June 8, 11am-12pm. Kids get to create an out of this world DC Super Hero themed foam frame for their Dad on Father’s Day at the JCPenney Kids Zone! The activity kit includes a foam frame with stand, sheet stickers, foam stickers, a cute fill in the blank story with envelope and markers! In celebration of Batman’s 80th Anniversary, an extra Special Collector’s Pin has been designed specifically for this event. In addition, they will get their FREE JCPenney Kids Zone lanyard & ID Badge!
- Summer Jam at Rimrock Mall – Friday, June 21, 6-10pm. Come have some Summer Fun at Rimrock Mall! Summer Jam at Rimrock Mall is a FREE, fun, family-friendly event space. Summer Jam will give the West End of Billings a chance to enjoy the summer weekends in a fun outdoor area! Admission to the concert is FREE and there will be alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages available for purchase. This week, enjoy the sounds of Brick House Band.
- HRDC’s 5th Annual Play Date at the Zoo – Thursday, June 13, 1-7pm. HRDC will host its annual Play Date at the Zoo to provide a venue where families can spend quality time together and receive information regarding services available through Community Resources. HRDC staff will be on hand to share their programs available to families. Numerous other community resources will also be onsite with information and to answer any questions. The event offers face painting, games, scavenger hunt, obstacle course, snacks, and more. The event is FREE to the public and includes free admission to ZooMontana.
- Movies Under the Stars: How to Train Your Dragon The Hidden World – Saturday, June 29, 7-11pm. Join Billings Kiwanis for Movies Under the Stars at ZooMontana. The gates will open at 7pm and the movie will begin at dusk. Free admission! Awesome concessions! Concession sales will benefit the YMCA. Billings Kiwanis mission is to help the children of our city, state, nation and the world. This is a non-profit event that looks to enhance family entertainment in the Billings community
CASTLE ROCK PARK
- Billings Kiwanis Bike Rodeo – Saturday, June 1, 10am-12pm. Get the summer rolling with safety in mind with Billings Kiwanis' Bike Rodeo. Free for grades Kindergarten thru 3rd. Those (pre-registered) kiddos may come pick out a refurbished bike (while they last), trade in their gently used bike, or have their bike tuned up by bike techs from The Bike Shop and The Spoke Shop. Free bike helmets will be sized and fitted by St. Vincent Healthcare. All participants must register online at www.BillingsKiwanis.org
PILGRIM CONGRESSIONAL CHURCH
- Saturday Night Arm Wrestling and Games – Every Saturday Night 6:30-8pm. Learn a new sport, make new friends, play air hockey, foosball, and more. Free dinner, all are welcome.