Earth Day Pistachio Necklace
Earth Day is April 22, and I love taking the time to be a little more intentional about how we treat the earth. I try to live that way all of the time but will admit that I do not recycle as much as I should…speaking of recycling, I have been saving pistachio shells for a long time now unsure of what to do with them, until now!
- Pistachio Shells (I used 35 pistachio shells to create this necklace.)
- Acrylic paint and paintbrush
- Necklace chain
- 2 jump rings
- Needle nose plier
- Glue gun
- Round cardstock gift tag
- Start by putting two jump rings in your necklace chain. Gently poke a hole in the left corner of the round tag with the jump ring and refasten it. Repeat on the upper right corner of the tag. If you need to use a needle nose plier to assist with pulling apart the jump ring, make sure to be gentle.
- Next, pick your paint colors and start painting the outside and inside of the pistachio shells. I chose to use a dark navy and turquoise. There are so many different colors to choose from. I would also suggest painting the round gift tag the same color as the pistachio shell before gluing on the shells, especially if the tag is a lighter color. Allow the shells to dry completely.
- Start gluing one pistachio at a time in the middle of the circle. I was aiming to make a flower design out of the shells. You could also add glitter to the tips to add a sparkle effect. Allow the glue to dry and wear your beautiful new necklace!
There are so many beautiful things that can be recycled and repurposed. Let's take time this month to focus on ways that we can give back to the earth. Pick up some trash, plant trees, or try making jewelry out of Pistachio shells. Whatever you do, be mindful of the positive effect that it is having on the environment. Turn your trash into treasures!