DIY Tiered Fountain Planter
July 1, 2019 | by Jessica Robbins
July is my favorite month of the year. Sun, swimming, and summer nights. I savor every single day! You cannot talk about summer without flowers. Ever since I was a little girl, I had a dream of owning my own flower shop. I just love flowers! When I saw this idea of a fountain planter, I couldn’t wait to try it for myself.
- 3 planter pots (large, medium, and small diameter)
- 2 cans spray paint
- Flowers and potting soil
- Choose your color palette. I knew that I wanted to do a turquoise color to match my existing porch décor.
- Break down some cardboard boxes, place the cardboard on your grass, and put the flowerpots on top of the cardboard. When spray painting, make sure the area is well ventilated and not in direct sunlight.
- Start spray painting the pots. I suggest wearing disposable gloves if you don’t want to have paint in your nails for a week. Start with a light coat of paint; not too thick. If you spray too close and put it on too thick, you will end up with running streaks.
- After the paint has dried, place the largest pot in the spot you want to display the planter on your porch. Fill with potting soil. Place the medium size flower pot in the middle of the dirt of the large flower pot. Fill the medium flower pot with potting soil and then place the smallest flower pot in the middle of the dirt of the medium flower pot. Fill the small pot with potting soil and start planting your flowers.
Pay special attention when buying flowers to see how tall they get and if they need sun or shade. My porch gets full sun, so I made sure to buy all full-sun plants.
Summer is all about sitting back, relaxing, and enjoying the flowers. Pour yourself a nice cup of iced tea, sit down in your rocking chair, and enjoy your fabulous new fountain planter. Take the extra time to enjoy the beauty that is surrounding you this summer!