When I think of the word Celebrate, so many thoughts spring to mind: bright colors, excitement, and laughter. Of course, there are the traditional birthdays, graduations, and anniversaries to celebrate, but, the older I get, the more I am choosing to find daily things to celebrate. Sometimes I bake for no reason at all except to celebrate that we are in good health.
- Vanilla cake mix
- 1 Box of Fruity Pebbles cereal
- 3 Jars of frosting
- Flavored Jell-O packets
- *8” round cake pans
1. Prepare the vanilla cake mix according to the instructions on the box. Divide batter evenly between four bowls. This is the best part! Instead of using food coloring to make the rainbow colors, use Jell-O powder. Scoop a couple of Tablespoons of red powder into one of the bowls and mix. This creates not only a fantastic color but also the most delicious flavor! Continue on with the orange, yellow, and blue Jell-O.
2. Next, pour each color of batter into separate 8” round cake pans and bake in the oven according to the instructions on the box. * Hint: I have learned from past experience, to line the round cake pans with parchment paper to remove the cake easily from the pan.
3. Allow the cakes to cool. Start by placing the blue cake on the cake stand. Cover the top with frosting, and layer the yellow cake on top. Proceed with frosting in between layers until you have all four colors of cake layered on the cake stand.
4. Apply a layer of frosting around the side of the cakes. This does not need to be pretty or perfect. After the frosting is in place, apply handfuls of Fruity Pebbles around the sides of the cake. (I really wish that there was an easier way, but there is not.) This messy step is my kids’ favorite.
5. Finish off the top of the cake with frosting using a decorative frosting tip to make it pretty.
6. Cut into the cake and enjoy the beautiful rainbow that emerges as you serve it on the plates.
My girls love to make cake pops with our cake pop machine, so we baked them, applied frosting, and rolled them in Fruity Pebbles.
Baking is near and dear to my heart. Growing up, my mom always baked homemade cakes for every birthday, and I have continued this tradition with my kids. No matter what you are celebrating, focus on enjoying the time with your friends and family. If you don’t have any big celebrations coming up, pick a day simply to celebrate life, family, and love!