April 2019 Family Fun Freebies
Spring has sprung! After the COLD winter we had, April is finally here. That means outdoor events will start back up, the grass will start growing, and, sadly, the return of bugs. Besides copious amounts of Easter Egg hunts around town, there are many different ways to get out and have fun as a family this month.
BILLINGS PUBLIC LIBRARY
- Wednesday/Friday Fun at the Library – Play games and build LEGOS from 3-4:45pm, every Wednesday and Friday at Billings Public Library in the Craft Corner!
- READ to a Dog – Saturday, April 6 11:00-12pm. Each reading child will sign up for one 15 minute time with a dog of their choice. Sign up happens on the day of the program. READ to a Dog program is a chance for children to read to a dog one on one. Sometimes, children may have a difficult time reading, and reading to a dog can bring a feeling of non-judgment, which makes reading a more relaxing and fun experience. With bringing the Intermountain Therapy dogs here, it creates that relaxed feeling in a safe and comfortable environment.
- Elephant and Piggie Visit the Library – Saturday, April 6 10:30am-12pm. Celebrate “The Week of the Young Child," April 8th-12th at Billings Public Library with a special program featuring the costumed characters “Elephant and Piggie." This program will take place on Saturday, April 6th at 10:30am in the Community Room. “Elephant & Piggie” will be here along with a special guest who will be reading stories. There will be a fun craft and free books will be given out to children in attendance. This special event is being sponsored by the Billings Chapter of the Montana Association of the Education of Young Children.
- Make and Take Earth Day Craft - Monday, April 15 3-4:45pm. We will make a craft by reducing, reusing and recycling on Monday, April 15th from 3-4:45 pm. in the Craft Corner. No registration is necessary.
- Special Story Time Event – Monday, April 29 10:30-11:30am. Author Dawn Noelle Archer will be here read her book Oh Joy, Bok Choy & Other Greens for Me! This book reminds us to share the simple joys of working and playing together and helps to discover some fun ways green vegetables can be prepared and enjoyed. A snack from the story will be shared and books will be available for purchase.
- Friday Night Fun: Library in the Art Walk – Friday, April 5 6:30-8pm. This rare viewing of the library’s art collection will feature works by renowned artists Charles M. Russell, Joseph Henry Sharp and photographer L.A. Huffman. Also on display will be one of the first comprehensive maps of the Yellowstone and Missouri River drainages, created in the late 1870s by Luther (Yellowstone) Kelly. These works were donated for the enjoyment of the community of Billings.
- Friday Night Fun – Friday, April 12 6:30-8pm. Bring the whole family for Friday Night Fun at the Library!
- Friday Night Fun: Seed Bomb Lab – Friday, April 19 6:30-8pm. Join in on this Earth Day Celebration and make your own Seed Bombs! Seed Bombs contain annual and perennial flowers native to our Montana region; by planting Seed Bombs, you're helping out birds, butterflies, bees, and all the other hard-working creatures that pollinate our food supply and help things grow. We'll also enjoy snacks and a special screening of the Academy Award-Winning Pixar film, WALL-E.
- Friday Night Fun: Women’s History Scavenger Hunt – Friday, March 22 6:30-8pm. Come celebrate Women's History Month with a library-wide scavenger hunt! The hunt starts at 6:30pm under the Oculus; those who complete the hunt will win a prize!
- Friday Night Fun: Happy Birthday, Will Shakespeare! – Friday, April 26 6:30-8pm. William Shakespeare was baptized on this day in 1564, and we are celebrating The Bard with games, treats and Elizabethan green screen. "How shall we beguile the lazy time--"? Come down and find out!
MONTANA AUDUBON CENTER
- Open House– First and third Saturdays, April 6 & 20, 11am-3pm. Open House at the Montana Audubon Center is a great time to explore the great outdoors and ask a naturalist any questions you might have.
- Wise Wonders: First Free Friday Night – Friday, April 5, 6-8pm. Visit Wise Wonders every first Friday of the month for free from 6pm to 8pm!
- This House of Books Game Night – Every Thursday night from 5-8pm for Tabletop gaming. We have a large library of games to demo, or feel free to bring your own. While here enjoy a variety of drinks and snacks!
- Gounite: Volunteer Helping Billings Depot Tear Down after REVEL – Sunday, April 14 3-7pm. The Billings Depot's REVEL at the Taste of Billings event is its largest fundraiser of the year! This year's revamped event is being touted as an experiential event that will stimulate all five senses through an intersection of flavor, art, music, culture and entertainment. We are going to be helping the Depot tear-down and cleanup after the event. There are two volunteer times available to come help with us on April 14th. You can RSVP to come from 3pm-5pm or 5pm-7pm. Kids of any age are welcome to come volunter too! RSVP on Facebook as space is limited.
- Art Walk – Friday, April 5, 5-9pm. Maps available at http://artwalkbillings.com/ Over thirty locations open their doors, host artists and celebrate the creative spirit alive and well in the Magic City. Music, refreshments, artist talks and more.
- 51st Annual MSUB Powwow – Friday, April 5, 10am-11pm. Come and enjoy a competition powwow. Contests for all ages. Prize money. Specials. A basketball tournament for men and women. An MMIW walk and rally. A Language Bowl for High School students. It's a cultural immersion weekend. Don't miss out. Located at the Native American Achievement Center at MSUB 2630 Normal Ave.
- Healthy Kids Day – Saturday, April 27, 10am-12pm. On April 27th the Billings Family YMCA is holding a free community event to inspire our kids to keep their minds and bodies active during the summer months. Healthy Kids Day is an opportunity to check out all the amazing programs the Y has to offer! Not only is this event FREE but there is NO JOINERS FEE the entire day for new members. Healthy Kids Day features activities such as: a scavenger hunt, bounce house, Summer Camp registration, canoe rides, Generation Pound®, Oula Jr., and so much more! Join the fun and awaken your summer imagination!
- The Great American Cleanup! – Saturday, April 27, 8:30am-2pm. Hey, it's Spring! After a long winter it's definitely time for some spring cleaning around Billings. So grab your family, friends, your church or service group and plan to enjoy a fun-filled day of tidying up our bright n' beautiful Billings parks, streets and neighborhoods. Check-in at the Billings Community Center at 8:30 AM and receive supplies. You'll shine in a Bright n' Beautiful yellow safety vest and latex gloves. Look out Billings! Pick up a picker and your complimentary trash bags and head out into the sunshine to magically clean up your favorite patch of the Magic City. Then return with your filled bags and toss them into our Bright n' Beautiful roll-off dumpsters (Thank you, City of Billings!) After all that effort you deserve a delicious Great American Brown Bag lunch. (Thank you, Billings Food Bank!) It'll be fun to share your Cleanup stories with your neighbors. (You'll be amazed at the treasures you come across when you're in Cleanup mode.) We'll be waiting for you with a hearty 'thank you' and a 'job well done'! The Keep America Beautiful Great American Cleanup. The feel-good event of the year!
Atomic Circus - Friday, April 12, 6-7pm. Join MSUB for the Atomic Circus, a fun, multimedia chemistry show designed for kids K-12, at 6pm in Petro Theatre. The Atomic Circus features amazing chemistry experiments, interpretive dancers, and the Atomic Circus band. All thanks to the creative collaboration of the MSU-Billings Chemistry, Art, and Music Departments.
- Kids’ Workshop: Birdhouse – Saturday, April 6, 9am-12pm. Encourage a love for nature and ornithology in our hands-on workshop where you and your child can build a birdhouse. Your young birdwatcher can observe birds’ behaviors like nest building and provide them a safe place to eat without the need for expensive equipment. Once your birdhouse is built, your child can decorate it with paint and stickers. All Kids Workshop attendees must be accompanied by a parent or adult at all times. All kids get to keep their craft, receive a FREE certificate of achievement, a Workshop Apron, and a commemorative pin while supplies last. Children must be present at the store to participate in the workshop and receive the kit, apron and pin.
BARNES & NOBLE
- Storytime and Activities Featuring Pete the Cat Big Easter Adventure – Saturday, April 13, 11am. When Pete wakes up Easter morning and sees his basket of goodies, he discovers the Easter Bunny needs a little help. He puts on his bunny ears and hops to it to help save Easter! Join us for Storytime, and get a coupon from B&N's Café for a grilled cheese sandwich with milk or juice for $4!
- JcPenny Kids Zone – Saturday, April 13, 11am-12pm. Kids can come dressed as their favorite superhero! They will get to color their own FREE superhero CINCH BAG, collect a FREE Marvel specialty pin and collect 4 FREE superhero buttons. In addition, they will get their FREE JCPenney Kids Zone lanyard & ID badge!
- Montana Women’s Expo– Saturday, April 27, 10-5pm. The Montana Women's Expo was designed to provide women with answers to their many questions and direct them to local professionals and providers who can help.
Pilgrim Congressional Church
- Saturday Night Arm Wrestling and Games – Every Saturday Night 6:30-8pm. Learn a new sport, make new friends, play air hockey, foosball, and more. Free dinner, all are welcome.
PETSMART BOTH LOCATIONS
- Easter Bunny Photos – Saturday & Sunday, April 13-14, 12-4pm. FREE photo opportunity with the Easter Bunny! Bring the whole family – pets too!