Family Fun Freebies in FebruaryIn December, we went to a child’s birthday party with the kids playing outside in short sleeved shirts! Fast forward a month, and winter has finally arrived. This means lots of snow, cold weather, and if your kids are anything like mine, cabin fever. Here is a list of fun free things to do as a family to get out of the house and celebrate the month of Love!
BILLINGS PUBLIC LIBRARY
- Registration for Billings Public Library’s 22nd annual Family Reading Program continues through February. This program is designed to encourage families to develop the habit of reading aloud together. During the program: Read together for 20 minutes a day for 20 days. Complete the program together and earn a book for the family and an entry for a drawing of one of two $25 gift cards. Each child completing the program also earns a free minifigure from Bricks and Minifigs. End of program on February 26.
- Wednesday/Friday Fun at the Library– Play games and build LEGOS from 3-4:45pm, every Wednesday and Friday at Billings Public Library in the Craft Corner!
- Make and Take Family Craft – Monday, February 4, 3-4:45pm. Join in for a Make & Take Craft for the whole family in the Craft Corner. No registration necessary.
- Special Story Time Event – Saturday, February 9, 10:30-11am. Local artist and illustrator Edward Tanzosh will read from his most recent children’s book, “Woolly Different” written by Rayne Reynolds. Francis is a pig that is woolly different from his barnyard friends. After the story, Edward will share his talent with the audience with a short art lesson. Books will be available for purchase.
- Make and Take Valentine’s Day Craft – Thursday, February 14 3-4:45pm. Make & Take Valentine's Day Craft for the whole family in the Craft Corner. No registration necessary.
- Read to a Dog Puppy Party – Saturday, February 16 10:30-12pm. Join us in Children’s Services for BPL's 5th annual Puppy Party! We will celebrate five years of READ to a Dog and you will get to meet the dogs! Enjoy stories and make a puppy craft!
- End of Family Reading Special Event: Circus Variety Show - Tuesday, February 26, 6:30pm. Celebrate the completion of the Family Reading Program with a one-man circus variety show!
- Jr Adventure Mini Golf – Thursday, February 28, 4-5pm. It may be too cold to mini golf outside, but how fun would it be to play mini golf in the library? Come join us for a grand putting adventure! Please register your 6-8 year old in person at the Children’s Desk or call 406-657-8256.
- Friday Night Fun: Geek Out! Princess Bride – Friday, February 1, 6:30-8pm. Join us Friday nights for free family fun! It seems only fitting that we begin the most romantic month with a tribute to The Princess Bride. We will travel to Florin for an adventure-filled evening of crafts, treats, green screen, and a new way to experience this beloved film. It's inconceivable that you won't have a good time!
- Friday Night Fun: Feeding Birds in Winter – Friday, February 8, 6:30-8pm. To celebrating National Bird Feeding Month, join us for a program on feeding birds during the winter, and make a bird feeder to take home from a plastic milk jugs. Nutty refreshments will be available for the peckish.
MONTANA AUDUBON CENTER
- Open House– First and third Saturdays, February 2 and 16 11am-3pm. Open House at the Montana Audubon Center is a great time to explore the great outdoors and ask a naturalist any questions you might have.
- Wise Wonders: Free First Friday Night – Friday, February 1, 6-8pm. Visit Wise Wonders every first Friday of the month for free from 6pm to 8pm! This event is made possible by Valley Federal Credit Union.
- Gounite: Volunteer at SCRaP’s Glass Recycling Launch – Saturday, February 23 12-3pm. Share Create Reuse and Promote (SCRaP) is launching Billings' first glass recycling program! Come volunteer on launch day! They will be running the glass crusher and prepping and handing out totes to people signing up for the program. Kids of any age welcome to volunteer too! RSVP on their Facebook Page.
- The United States Air Force Academy Band’s Falconaires Big Band Concert – Sunday, February 24, 3-4:30pm. The United States Air Force Academy Band’s “Falconaires” jazz ensemble from Colorado Springs will perform a free concert at Senior High School in Billings, on Sunday, February 24th at 3PM. Seating is limited and requires a ticket. Please pick up your free ticket at the Rimrock Mall Management Office. Office hours are 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. The afternoon will feature an eclectic mix of traditional and contemporary jazz repertoire that celebrates our national heritage.
- This House of Books Game Night –Every Thursday night from 5-8pm for Tabletop gaming. They have a large library of games to demo, or feel free to bring your own. While here enjoy a variety of drinks and snacks!
- Art Walk – Friday, February 1, 5-9pm. Maps available at http://artwalkbillings.com/
- Yellowstone Art Museum Free Day – February 14, 10-8pm. Get in Free all day for Valentine’s Day at the Yellowstone Art Museum.
- Kids’ Workshop: Heart Candy Box – Saturday, February 2, 9am-12pm. Celebrate love and kindness with a personalized candy heart box. In this workshop, you and your child can build a heart shaped box for Valentine's Day perfect as a gift for someone you love or to stash all your super sweet Valentine's Day goodies and keepsakes. Once the heart is built, your child can customize it with paint and stickers. All Kids Workshop attendees must be accompanied by a parent or adult at all times. All kids get to keep their craft, receive a FREE certificate of achievement, a Workshop Apron, and a commemorative pin while supplies last.
BARNES & NOBLE
- Lego Movie 2 Event – Saturday, February 23, 2pm. Join us for exciting activities including building a Mini Emmet's Dream House to take home with you, plus other giveaways while supplies last.
- JcPenny Kids Zone – Saturday, February 9, 11am-12pm. Design a pair of "I Love You" Valentine Cards. This is for school-aged children. Parents receive a 10% off coupon for use in store on the day of the event only.
pilgram congressional church
- Saturday Night Arm Wrestling and Games – Every Saturday Night 6:30-8pm. Learn a new sport, make new friends, play air hockey, foosball, and more. Free dinner, all are welcome.
about the author…A stay at home mom to two children, excited that winter has finally arrived but already tired of shoveling.