Free family fun in NovemberThe holidays have arrived…unless you shop at Costco or Hobby Lobby where the holidays started in August. The time is looming to plan our shopping, holiday parties, and prepare our homes to welcome family and friends. If you’re like me, and you are not quite ready for hosting just yet, here are a variety of no cost outings to get everyone out and about in Billings together!
Free Family Fun in November
BILLINGS PUBLIC LIBRARY
- Wednesday/Friday Fun at the Library– Play games and build LEGOS from 3-4:45pm, every Wednesday and Friday at Billings Public Library in the Craft Corner!
- READ to a Dog –Saturday, November 3, 11am. Children may sign up on the day of the program and have a chance to read to a dog. This program is for reading-age children who like to read, children who have a hard time reading, or children that just like to be with dogs, to sit and enjoy the calming comforts of a dog.
- Passport to Virtues of Fairy Tales – Saturday, November 3, 10:30-11:30. Join Ever After Events and their newest character, Fairy Godmother for a celebration of the Virtues of Fairy Tales. There will a story time, craft and several special guests. The green screen will be set up for picture taking, bring your camera and be part of the celebration in the Community Room.
- Geek Out! Harry Potter – Saturday, November 10, 11am-2pm. Celebrate the wonderful world of Harry Potter! Enjoy treats at the Three Broomsticks, search for horcruxes, make potions, play trivia, pose for pictures with the green screen and more! Activities will be available throughout the Library for the duration of the program! Be sure to dress up as your favorite character for a chance to win a prize! The Goblet of Fire will be in the library starting Monday October 29th! You can enter your name into the goblet for a chance to win a magic wand! Just complete the quiz that will be available at the information desks. The first quiz will be available on Oct 29th and a second quiz will be available on Nov 5th. Once the quiz has been completed turn it in to one of the information desks, put your first and last name on the entry form and throw it into the goblet! A very special guest will be announcing the winners on Saturday Nov 10th at the beginning of the program!
- Friday Night Fun: Celebrate Native American Heritage Month – Friday November 16, 6-8:30pm. Retired National Park Service ranger Mardell Plainfeather will present "Clan System of the Crow." Following her presentation, participate in "Northern Cheyenne Storytelling" presented by Seidel Standing Elk, an artist and storyteller. Then create your own pictograph stone.
- Friday Night Fun: Board Games – Friday November 23, 6-8:30pm. It's the day after Thanksgiving, and that means - Board Games!! Join in some friendly competition over one of your favorites
- Make & Take Winter Craft – Monday, November 26 3-4:45pm. The library will be doing a Make & Take Winter Craft in the Children's Craft Corner. No registration is required! All children under the age of 8 MUST be accompanied by an adult.
- Friday Night Fun: Harps & Crafts – Friday, November 30, 6:30-8pm. Under the Oculus. Enjoy an evening of soothing, instrumental holiday music and an offering of festive crafts.
MONTANA AUDUBON CENTER
- Open House– First and third Saturdays, November 3 & 17 11am-3pm. Open House at the Montana Audubon Center is a great time to explore the great outdoors and ask a naturalist any questions you might have.
- Yellowstone Art Museum: Jam at the Yam – Friday November 2, 4-9pm. Start November right with great art, awesome local music, & rad friends! Free admission and free parking.
- Wise Wonders: First Free Friday Night – November 2, 6-8pm. Visit Wise Wonders every first Friday of the month for free from 6pm to 8pm! This event is made possible by sponsor, the US Bank Foundation.
- GoUnite: Assemble Senior Food Bags for Family Service – Saturday November 17, 10-12pm. Family Service, Inc. assembles Senior Commodity Food Bags every month that are delivered to seniors in our community who are in need of a little help. Come join in filling and preparing these commodity bags. They are made up of items like peanut butter, spaghetti sauce, noodles and many meal staples. Many of these seniors do not have transportation and these commodity bags are the only groceries they receive all month. Bring the kiddos too, they can help prepare bags or a table will be setup where they can color holiday cards for the seniors.
- This House of Books Game Night –Every Thursday night from 5-8pm for Tabletop gaming. This House of Books has a large library of games to demo, or feel free to bring your own. While there, enjoy a variety of drinks and snacks!
- Annual Downtown Holiday Parade - Friday, November 23, 7pm. Bundle up the family and enjoy this kickoff to the holiday season with this spectacular holiday tradition. Take in the over 100 floats decorated with a holiday theme (concluding with Santa)!
- Day of the Dead at MSUBillings – Friday, November 2, 4-7:15pm. Go to MSUB's campus and check out their amazing Northcutt Steele Gallery art display. Located in the L.A. building. Also enjoy a FREE showing of Coco, a fun craft, and a free snack. Don't forget to bring your family!
- Kids’ Workshop: Helicopter – Saturday, November 3, 9am12pm. Celebrate and honor all who have served our country in this hands-on Veteran’s Day focused workshop. You and your child can build a custom model military helicopter to spark a conversation with a Veteran about fighting large fires, moving troops, getting supplies to ships and transporting patients. Once the “helo” build is complete, your child can decorate it with paint and stickers. All kids get to keep their craft, receive a FREE certificate of achievement, a Workshop Apron, and a commemorative pin while supplies last. Children must be present at the store to participate in the workshop and receive the kit, apron, and pin. Register here.
- KidsKlub: Thanksgiving Craft – Monday, November 12, 9-7pm. Head to the 2nd floor training room at Scheels to create a Thanksgiving craft! For ages 4-12.
BARNES & NOBLE
- Story time for babies and preschoolers– Every Monday and Wednesday, 10-11am. Check B&N’s calendar for details on the different book each day.
- JCPenny Kids Club – Saturday, November 10, 11am-12pm. Receive a Nickelodeon coloring pack, stickers and comic book. This is for school age children. Parents receive an extra 10% off coupon for use in store on the day of the event only.
about the author…A stay at home mom to two children, excited for all the holiday festivities.