Family Fun Freebies in AugustSummer is winding down, but before school starts, you’ll want to check out these events for tons of free family fun this August in Billings!
- Get the scoop on Deals of the Day and free happenings at MontanaFair (August 10-18)!
WADING & SPRAYGROUNDS IN BILLINGS
- There are two filtrated, chlorinated wading pools and four spray grounds located within the Billings City Park System. All wading pools are free for children ages 8 and younger. Parents/guardians responsible for the supervision of their children at all times. Locations: Pioneer Park(wading)-3rd St W & Ave D; Hawthorne Park (wading)-Janie & Columbine Dr; North Park (spray)-6thAve N & S 37th St; Castle Rock Park (spray)-Wicks Ln & Nutter Blvd; South Park (spray)-6th Ave S & 30th
- Billings Pools are upon through August 18!
BILLINGS PUBLIC LIBRARY
- Wednesday/Friday Fun at the Library- Come play games and build LEGOS from 3-4:45pm, every Wednesday and Friday at Billings Public Library in the Craft Corner!
- READ to a Dog. Saturday August 4 11:00am. Each child will be able to sign up on the day of the program and have a chance to read to one dog. This program is for reading-age children who like to read, children who have a hard time reading, or children that just like to be with dogs, to sit and enjoy the calming comforts of a dog.
- Meet the Author, August 11, 10:30am. Meet author of Double! Not Half, Rod Gottula. Expect a reading, followed by Q&A, with books available for purchase and signing.
- Billings Symphony Orchestra August 13 10:30am. Join musicians from the Billings Symphony Orchestra in the Royal Johnson Community Room. Come and experience a musical and visual experience created by the Stillwater String Quartet. All children and families welcome. Call 406-657-8256 for more information.
- All events at the library are free! Weekly story times, TECH Lab for teens, game nights, and more!
FAITH E PLAYGROUND
- Summer Fun at the playground! Every Wednesday at 11am and Thursday at 6pm. Each week has a different theme. Bubbles, sidewalk chalk, splash, and so much more!
- Crafts for the kids multiple times a week. Check their calendar for more specifics. Some classes do have a charge, while others are free (just pay for main item and Michaels provides the supplies)
MONTANA AUDUBON CENTER
- Open House every Wednesday from 4-7pm and Saturdays 9am-2pm. Open House is a great time to explore the great outdoors and ask a naturalist any questions you might have.
- Alive after 5, every Thursday in Downtown Billings. The location and bands change weekly so check the calendar for details! Enjoy live music and a fun time. Admission is free for under 21 and $2 for over 21.
- Yellowstone Valley Farmers Market is every Saturday July 21 through October 6, 8am-12pm. Fresh produce, food trucks, local vendors, and live music.
St. JOHN’S – FRED & MARIE MILLER PAVILION
- John’s Summer Concert Series- August 2nd and 9th at the Fred & Marie Miller Pavilion, corner of Rimrock and Shiloh. Opening act at 6pm; Main act at 7pm. Admission is free. (Food Court available). Bands change weekly, so check the calendar for details!
- Healthy By Design Gardeners’ Market. Fresh produce, live music, and fun family activities every Thursday evening from 4:30-6:30pm at South Park June 14-October 4.
THIS HOUSE OF BOOKS
- S.T.E.A.M. Summer Series for Kids – Tuesdays in August. Events centered on Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics. Geared to children ages preschool up to early middle school. Co-Sponsored by Wise Wonders Children’s Museum.
- Inside a Book: How Do the Pictures Get in There? August 7, 3-4pm. Think about your favorite picture book. Do you have it in your mind? Excellent. Now call to mind the illustrations from this book. Have you ever wondered where they come from?
- How to Be a Spy, August 14, 3-4pm. Discover sneaky tools, learn spy technologies, and break super-secret codes!
- Free First Fridays. August 3, 6-8pm. Visit Wise Wonders Children’s Museum every first Friday of the month for free from 6-8pm.
- Pedal Powered Library August 1, 12-2pm and August 30, 11am-1pm. Join Wise Wonders and the Billings Public Library for a morning of reading and activities! Check out BPL's new library on wheels, take a book home and enjoy an activity!
- August 1 5:30-7pm. Volunteer and help Fill Backpacks for Kids for the Salvation Army! There are so many kids in need right here in Billings, help them receive a brand new backpack full of needed supplies.
If you would like to bring extra school supplies you can, or simply show up and you’ll be put to work. Kids of any age are welcome to volunteer too.
PETSMART (BOTH LOCATIONS)
- Camp Critters Part 3. Saturday August 18 12-3pm. Have your child step right up and meet the stars of the show at the small animal meet and greet. Don’t forget to complete the scavenger hunt for extra fun facts about small pets.
BILLINGS KIWANIS MOVIE UNDER THE STARS
- August 4 at Lewis and Clark Middle School. Starts at Dusk. Jumanji. No outside food or beverages. All concession proceeds go to Young Families Early Headstart.
- August 25 at ZooMontana. Starts at Dusk. Paddington 2. No outside food or beverages. All concession proceeds go to ZooMontana.
MOVIES IN THE PARK
- August 3 at Dusk at Optimist Park. Watch Sherlock Gnomes. Concessions, face painting and more.
- August 24 at Dusk at Veterans Park. Viewers’ Choice Movie. Concessions, face painting and more.
- August 6 at 6pm. Learn to make Scheels Fudge! This is for ages 4-12.
- August 20 at 6pm. Come test your skills by competing in the Scheels Olympics. Ages 4-12.
BARNES & NOBLE
- Thursday Nights, 7-9pm. Summer game night series. Play old classics and discover new favorites as a family.
- Saturdays 11-12pm. Story time followed by activities. Best for babies and preschoolers.
JOSEPHINE CROSSING SUMMER CONCERT
- August 14, 5-8:30pm. The perfect mid-summer show to get you movin' and groovin'. Join us as we support and raise funds for Tumbleweed. As always, free and open to the public.
- Bookworm Bookends August 4 at 9am. Celebrate your child's devotion to reading in this book lover's hands-on workshop. Together you and your child can build a set of bookworm bookends to add personality, organization, and excitement to bookshelves in any playroom, family room, or bedroom. Once your bookends construction is complete, your child can decorate it with paint and stickers.
ART HOUSE CINEMA & PUB
- Every Saturday morning it’s free Saturday Morning Cartoons! Come and go anytime between 9am-12pm for FREE cartoons and cereal for purchase! This is a really fun family event to get out of the house, and enjoy cereal and cartoons with your kids, friends, or just you! Don't miss out!
For a look at more happenings around town, check out SFM’s online calendar!
about the author…A stay at home mom to two children, loving summer life but ready for school to start back up.