Heart-shaped breakfast ideas for Valentine's DayOriginally printed in the pages of Simply Family Magazine’s February 2018 issue. Never miss an issue, check out SFM’s digital editions, here!
article and photos by Erin James
Whether cooking up something for your sweetheart or surprising your kids when they open their eyes, breakfast in bed is a great way to share some love. Here are some ideas and helpful hints for a Valentine-themed soiree to start the day.
Bacon from the heart
- Nothing says “I love you” like the universal favorite…bacon. Thick sliced, long strips of bacon work great for this, as it will shrink during baking. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and use a meat tenderizer to thin out the bacon. Cut lengthwise and shape into a heart before placing on a rack in the foil-lined baking sheet. The rack helps bacon cook to a nice crisp while maintaining its heart shape. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- A recycled ketchup bottle works great for easy pouring and storing of pancake batter, especially when you’re creating fun shaped pancakes. Simply give the ketchup bottle a good scrub, pour batter in with a funnel, and refrigerate any unused pancake batter for future use.
- Slice potatoes evenly with a mandolin and cut out heart shapes with a small metal cookie cutter. Large potatoes work well, but you can also piece two smaller slices together. Season the heart-shaped potatoes by placing in a bowl with 2 Tablespoons olive oil, your favorite dried herbs, and garlic salt. Line a baking sheet with foil then parchment paper. Arrange and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, flip and cook an additional 20 minutes. Garnish with parmesan cheese if desired.
- Use a well-buttered, metal heart cookie cutter. You can also use the leftover bacon grease for added flavor. Place about 4 Tablespoons of water in the bottom of a pan. Put the cookie cutter in the pan and crack the egg inside of it. Place a lid over the pan to poach the egg until egg white is no longer translucent. Once cooked, use a sharp knife to loosen egg from the cookie cutter.
Hearty breakfast sandwich
- Stack the trio together to form a heart-shaped breakfast sandwich.