DIY: Industrial Firewood StandOriginally printed in the pages of Simply Family Magazine’s January 2018 issue.
Never miss an issue, check out SFM’s digital editions, here!
photos by Jessica Robbins
Nothing is better on a cold winter day than snuggling up by a cozy fire. We have a fireplace in our home, and we burn it almost every night. With a real fireplace comes real firewood. I am continually running outside to bring in more wood inside. Behold a solution, this fantastic industrial firewood storage stand.
- Piece of wood
- 4- large industrial piping
- 4- smaller industrial piping
- 4- floor flanges
- 4- 90-degree elbows
- 2 tees
- 4 wheels
- Start by heading to the hardware store for all of your industrial piping. I picked my piping up at Home Depot. There are a lot of different sizes and shapes. I chose to use 1/2” diameter piping. Make sure and pick a diameter and stick with that size for all of your pieces. I bought 4- 60” piping, 4- 8” piping, and 1- 12” piping. It is a good idea to have a plan for how large you would like your wood stand to be before picking out the piping.
- Next, screw the four wheels to the bottom of the wood piece you chose. After the wheels are screwed in, flip the piece of wood over and start to lay out the piping.
- When you start the assembly of all the pieces, it feels a bit like a puzzle. I took mine apart a couple of times to figure out the best way to construct it. I decided to assemble the top part first to figure out where to screw in the floor flanges. I wanted to make sure that they were placed in the appropriate spots on the wood.
- Once you determine the appropriate placement of the floor flanges, screw those in and attach the long industrial piping in the floor flanges. All that is left for assembly is to attach the top pieces to the long piping. Again, it might take you a couple of times to figure out the best way to configure.
- After the industrial piping is assembled, stain the wood. I wanted a darker, barn wood look to match my decor.
- Fill with freshly cut wood and place by your fireplace.
This industrial wood storage stand is the perfect addition to your decor and so convenient when you need to add wood to keep your fire blazing! If you don’t use your wood-burning fireplace maybe this will give you the boost you need to start enjoying it more!
about the author...Jessica Robbins has lived in Billings, MT for 15 years and is proud to call Montana home! She is married to her husband Zach and has two beautiful girls. She loves refurbishing furniture, crafting, and playing with her children.