How to make Ice Cream Cone CupcakesI love any reason to make cupcakes! My daughter has a summer birthday and we are nearing the end of the school year, folks. (A.K.A. a perfect reason to make cupcakes!) I have seen these ice cream cone cupcakes on Pinterest and I thought I would give them a try. They turned out really cute! Here’s how to recreate them for any occasion (or no occasion at all).
- You might also like: Summer Yum! Watermelon Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 box funfetti (or preferred flavor) cake mix
- Eggs, oil and water
- 24 flat bottomed ice cream cones
- Sprinkles (optional)
- 24 maraschino cherries (optional)
If you prefer to keep it simple or have time restraints, use a can of frosting. I highly recommend this buttercream frosting though! It’s divine!
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting-
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup butter (room temp)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- food coloring if desired
In a medium bowl, mix powdered sugar and butter on low speed. Stir in vanilla and 1 TBSP. milk. Gradually add remaining milk until frosting reaches desired consistency. If you are using food coloring add a few drops until you have achieved the color you like.
Ice Cream Cone Cupcake Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. I used the egg white recipe.
- Carefully place cones in a muffin tin.
- Fill cones about ¾ of the way full of cupcake batter.
- Place muffin tin in oven and bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cones to cool completely.
- Frost cupcakes and top with sprinkles and a cherry.
I made the cupcakes the evening before my daughter took them to her class, but it would be ideal to make them up just a few hours beforehand. The cones aren’t as crispy the longer they sit.
P.S. Transporting can be tricky! I used a relish tray and took very small steps into the school. =) Enjoy!