End of School Year Family Celebrations
For some, summer vacation is off and running while others (looking at you Billings School District #2) are still anxiously awaiting the release from the hustle and bustle of the school year. Kids and parents (and teachers, of course) work crazy hard during the school year, so we say families should give themselves a collective pat on the back and do some celebrating to usher in these beautiful summer days.
In my family we know summer vacation has officially arrived with the first round of back-and-forth running about between the cousins’ houses, the casual “Can [fill in a cousin’s name] stay for dinner/spend the night/run through the sprinklers…”? But let’s get more specific with some of our favorite ideas for End of School Year Family Celebrations…
- Get the fire pit going and roast your first s’mores of the summer!
- Catch dinner and a movie (and if you need ideas for family friendly summer dining choices in Billings, be sure to check out the June issue of Simply Family Magazine)!
- Speaking of movies…head to Pioneer Park for 2015's first free summer movies in the park series with Big Hero 6 on Friday, June 5 at dusk!
- Or…head to the Amusement Park Drive-in Theatre! (Rides reopened Memorial Day weekend)!
- Treat yourselves to a last day of school afterschool stop at your favorite yogurt/ice cream shop!
- Or…Get all the fixings for one serious ice cream party at home! I’m talking Root Beer Floats, Banana Splits, homemade Milk Shakes, Sundaes complete with syrup, sprinkles, and whipped cream, oh my!
- One of my favorite ways to celebrate the last day of school, is snagging my girl for a surprise lunch out. (Just, FYI, it helps to have a partner in crime who can do the ordering for you so you can get your kiddo back to school on time).
- Backyard BBQ! Whether it’s burgers and dogs, steaks and chicken, one of the bonuses to barbecuing is the adaptability of it all. Added bonus if you dine alfresco!
- A personal favorite: Family bowling night!
- Start your summer right with a family wiffle ball game at the park or in the backyard – better yet, turn it into a neighborhood affair!
- Summer hours at Geyser Park kickoff with the end of the school year, so get out with the fam for some mini golf, go karts, or laser tag!
- Weather cooperating, bust out the slip ‘n’ slide, get the sprinklers going, stock up on water balloons…have some splish splashin' good times!
- What better way to welcome summer than taking your girlies for a pedicure after that last bell rings?!
- Load up on the silly string, hand them out to the family, and go crazy!!
- Make a “Summer Fun Wish List” and put it in a jar, on a clipboard – wherever – for the family to draw from all summer long!
We hope you had a magnificent school year and that the dreams you've been dreaming for this summer vacation end up matching the reality! Have a safe and fun summer!