Your Weekend in Billings, MT: August 1-3, 2014
This weekend preview brought to you by RiverStone Health...
Not quite sure where summer has gone? Me neither. But as we prepare to turn yet another calendar page, there are still plenty of opportunities to squeeze in some good, old fashioned family fun before heading into the back to school grind. This weekend in Billings (and out) the family has plenty of options to get outside together.
- The Reef Indoor Water Park: Every Monday and Tuesday for the rest of the summer – Happy Hour, 5pm-7pm to close = $5 admission!
- Downtown Billings: Crazy Days – July 28-Aug. 2: Meander through downtown Billings where a variety of merchants will be offering specials, daily deals, and clearance items. Crazy Days signs are displayed at each participating location.
- Buy Early and Save - Get gate admissions and ride coupons for MontanaFair at a fraction of the cost when you make your purchases before Aug. 8.
- ZooMontana will be hosting NAMI's 11th Annual Bike Ride on Sunday, Aug. 3 (scroll down for more info on the ride), which has the zoo delaying opening hours to 12pm on Sunday due to the bikes that will be zipping along the paths.
Downtown Billings Businesses & Galleries
Friday, August 1, 2014 @ 5-9pm
Experience a variety of artistic mediums as galleries and businesses in downtown Billings open their doors to ArtWalkers and show new work by local and regional artists. You can expect food and beverages, live music, and painting demonstrations along with the exhibits.
Cooney State Park
Montana State Parks 75th Anniversary Concert
Friday, August 1, 2014 @ 5-9pm
Red Lodge Campground, Cooney State Park
In celebration of 75 years of conserving our public lands, Montana State Parks is hosting a concert at Cooney State Park, featuring The Jaded Ladies, a folk/rock group. This is an event for the whole family to enjoy with music, food, and fun planned. Attendees are invited to bring a picnic or take advantage of the Billings area food trucks that will be onsite for the event.
The concert is free to the public, but regular park fees do apply.
2014 Clark Days
Saturday and Sunday, August 2-3, 2014
Entry Fee: $7 (for both days)
Enjoy a weekend adventure at Pompeys Pillar celebrating Clark Days, which commemorates William Clark’s stop at the site on July 25, 1806. The 2014 Clark Days is all about “Celebrating Our Agricultural Heritage.” The weekend will get its start with a Cattle Drive on Saturday at 12pm, followed by family activities, reenactments, and demonstrations from 12pm-4pm. The evening will begin to wind down with music and a Cowboy Poetry Session at 5:30pm, with the night coming to a close with ghost stories starting at dark. Free overnight camping will also be available on Saturday!
Sunday will begin with a guided bird walk at 7am and a pancake breakfast from 7-10am. At 10am there will be a Flag Raising Ceremony and Elk River Brigade Presentation. 10am-4pm will once again offer family activities, reenactments, and demonstrations. At 12pm there will be a tractor show, and closing the day at 3pm, a Native American Cultural Presentation. Food vendors will also be on hand throughout the weekend (and rumor has it…there will be an ice cream truck on Sunday!).
NAMI Billings @ ZooMontana
11th Annual Bike Ride
Sunday, August 3
Cost: 2-mile loop, $10/rider | all other rides, $40
Register online at: http://namibillings.org/bikeride2014/ (day of registration available)
Mental illness tends to be the not so talked about, look the other way of health issues, and NAMI Billings is encouraging the community to “Pedal Past Stigma!” with their Annual Bike Ride, raising awareness about mental illness. Consider this: 1 in 4 adults in the US is affected by mental illness and 90% of those who commit suicide have a diagnosed mental illness.
This day of fitness, fun, fundraising, and raising awareness includes 5 different routes for riders to choose from:
- A “family friendly” 2-mile loop at ZooMontana with 3 departure times: 9, 10, 11am
- All other rides are on the road with marked signs. They include a 7-mile ride, 15-mile ride, 30-mile ride, and a 62.1 mile ride.
There will be inflatables at the zoo and registered riders will have free zoo admission for the day.
This is NAMI Billings only major fundraiser, raising 1/3 of their annual budget, and your support means education, support, and advocacy will continue to be made available to those affected by mental illness…At no cost to those participating.
Have an event you’d like highlighted in our weekend event series? Email Simply Becca at firstname.lastname@example.org.