Mark Your Calendar: Get Outside Montana 2014
We’ve emerged from a record-breaking winter – mostly – here in Montana, and visions of bright summer days are never far from our thoughts. We’re ready to ditch that winter gear (as much as anyone can in this state), and get in touch with the more outdoorsy version of ourselves. With that in mind, you’re invited to gear up for the 4th Annual Get Outside Montana challenge.
Montana Audubon Education Conservation Center and a variety of conservation organizations, government agencies, and businesses hope to encourage children and families to get active and get outside, enjoying the incredible range of recreational opportunities available in Billings and its surrounding areas with Get Outside Montana.
This friendly competition will have teams participating in a variety of activities – beginning at the Kick-off Event. Participants will receive (or you can download online after June 1) a passport that explains the competition and highlights a different park or activity on each page. Activities include self-guided, as well as scheduled, guided events for teams to choose from as they compete. It’s important to note that the teams set their own pace as they participate in this event.
What you need to know…
- Register by 5pm on May 19 to get a free t-shirt. **A registration form must be received in order for you to be eligible to participate.
- Get Outside Montana Kick-off Event is June 1 @1-4pm at the Audubon Education Conservation Center, located at 7026 South Billings Boulevard. **Registrations will be accepted at the kick-off event.
- Teams are comprised of at least 2 people (one of whom must be 18 years old or older, and one must be younger than 18), but can be as large as you want, however you must complete the activities together.
- Event materials including passports, goodie bags, and t-shirts (for pre-registered teams) will be distributed at the kick-off event on June 1.
- Passports (your guide, map, and entry ticket through the competition) will also be available online if you’re unable to attend the kickoff event.
- Final Event will be held on Aug. 10 @ 1pm at Lake Elmo, however…
- To be eligible for prizes passports must be turned into participating sites by Aug. 4.
- Grand Prize for the Top Team: The Spoke Shop will outfit a family with up to four brand new bikes!
- Don’t forget your camera! Pictures are used as items of proof that you can bring to the wrap-up celebration and share along the way.
Whether you’re inherently an outdoorsy kind of person/family, or you’ve simply decided it’s time to start exploring all the beauty that Montana has to offer, this is an excellent opportunity to get outside and get moving as a family. Get Outside Montana!
For more information, check out the Get Outside Montana website or their Facebook page.
Keep up with Simply Becca on Facebook: Parenting & Kid Talk with Simply Becca, on Twitter @LovingAbigail, and on Pinterest.