Mother's Day gift ideas that mom really wants
Driving home recently I heard an advertisement pertaining to Mother’s Day and getting mom what she really wants. The commercial was selling an ice cream cake and I thought, yeah, that’s so not what I want for Mother’s Day. Which of course immediately had me pondering what would make for the perfect Mother’s Day gift?
I don’t pretend to speak for all moms everywhere, but I know at least a few of you will offer up some hearty “amens!” for the suggestions I’m about to toss out. If your idea of the perfect Mother’s Day gift doesn’t appear, let us know in the comments below!
Mother’s Day gift ideas that mom really wants…Really.
- A guilt-free day of having the house to herself – I’m talking jammies on, favorite books by her side, movies piled next to the DVD player, favorite snacks ready and waiting, and Chinese takeout for lunch. (Heck, we’d even take mac ‘n’ cheese if this really happened and it wasn’t a result of being sick).
- A clean house that came to be without mom’s help. Dusting, vacuuming, mopping, bathrooms, the whole nine yards.
- Because a week (or two) in Hawaii is probably out, a weekend getaway with the family would be awesome. It doesn’t have to be anything massive, just some time away spent together as a family.
- Since becoming a mom there have been plenty of craft-y type things for Father’s Day…Return the favor?
- A guilt-free girl’s day out. Shopping, lunch, movie, pedicure…Whatever happens to float our fancy. This day must be completely devoid of any “When are you coming home?” phone calls/texts. And if you’re a rock star, like my husband, you send mama on her girl’s day out with a fully-loaded gift card.
- Speaking of pedicures….That alone would totally be a day maker.
- A gift certificate for having the family portrait done. It doesn’t even have to be with an actual photographer. Find someone who can take a reasonably decent picture of us relatively coordinated, smiling, and together and this girl, at least, would be the happiest of campers.
- A responsibility switch-up. If mom cooks dinner, cleans up, does the bathtime and bedtime routine…Take over for the night and take that load off her shoulders.
- It’s cliché, but flowers. Not a bouquet of flowers, but flowers that we will plant. Together. Together is the key here, the flowers are nice, but handy helpers are even better.
- …Although, one mom swears that giving her a gift certificate and sending her to the greenhouse by herself – you know, without kids jumping into puddles, turning on hoses, in-general getting into mischief - is akin to gifting her with gold.
Obviously dads and kids need not break the bank for mom on Mother’s Day – I’m certain she’d be just as happy with something as simple as loading up her iPod with her favorite songs, filling up the tub, and leaving her in peace with her favorite book for a few hours. Something that gives her a break and says, “We appreciate you,” is all it will take to make her feel like the queen of your family that she is.
This year Mother's Day falls on Sunday, May 12, 2013.
Alright moms, take to the comments and share your dream Mother’s Day gift.