Summer has finally arrived! But true to Montana form, it followed some chilly ( at least to me) days. I woke up on the 4th of July to a temperature in my house that should have kicked on the heat. That same day, the AC turned on. But now that the July heat seems to be here to stay, I am exploring new recipes that don’t require any heat. I don’t even want to BBQ as it’s too hot outside to stand by the grill. This recipe is a perfect way to beat the heat and use up those garden fresh zucchinis: no oven, no microwave and no grill needed. It is simple, takes less than 30 minutes, and many adaptations can be made.
- • 2 Medium zucchini, washed and trimmed
- • 2 Cups Spinach
- • 1 Cup Fresh Basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- • ½ Cup Pine Nuts
- • ¼ Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese, plus more for garnish
- • 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- • ¼ Cup Olive Oil, plus more as needed
- • 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- • Salt, to taste
- • Pepper, to taste
- • 1 Cup Cherry tomatoes, halved
- • 2 Slices Prosciutto, torn or cut into bite sized pieces
- Use a spiralizer to cut the zucchini into zoodles. Add the zoodles to a serving bowl and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, add the spinach, basil, pine nuts, Parmesan, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Blend to desired consistency, adding more olive oil as needed.
- Scoop the pesto over the zucchini noodles, and then add the cherry tomatoes and prosciutto.
- Toss until the zoodles are well-coated.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and garnish with basil and lemon wedges.
There you have it! A complete meal made without turning on any appliances that’ll make your house even hotter. Enjoy and stay cool this summer!
about the author…A stay at home mom raising two kids, and desperately trying not to turn the oven on!