Summer is finally here! After the long, record-breaking winter we had, I don’t know anyone who wasn’t ready for the sun to start shining and the snow to melt. Plus, the kids are always ready for the end of school. But if you are already dealing with the kiddos saying they are bored and tired of spending money to keep them occupied, then this list is for you! Here are some FREE and FUN activities going on around Billings this month.
Text FOOD to 877-877 for FREE Summer Lunch and Activities.
- Reading Rocks Summer Schedule June 18-July 26 12:15-1:00pm
- Mondays: Orchard Elementary and Castle Rock Park-
- Tuesdays and Thursdays: Central Park and Pioneer Park
- Wednesdays: Castle Rock Park and Gorham Park
Wading & Spraygrounds in Billings
- There are two filtrated, chlorinated wading pools and four spraygrounds located within the Billings City Park System. All wading pools are free for children ages 8 and younger. Parents/guardians responsible for the supervision of their children at all times. Locations: Pioneer Park (wading)-3rd St W & Ave D; Hawthorne Park (wading)-Janie & Columbine Dr; North Park (spray)-6th Ave N & S 37th St; Castle Rock Park (spray)-Wicks Ln & Nutter Blvd; South Park (spray)-6th Ave S & 30th St.
Billings Public Library
Wednesday/Friday Fun at the Library- Come play games and build LEGOS from 3-4:45pm, every Wednesday (except July 4) and Friday at Billings Public Library in the Craft Corner!
Jr. Science Club- Check out the variety of fun activities running for kiddos ages 6-8 with the Jr. Science Club, every Thursday from 3-4pm in Billings Public Library’s Community Room. *Children must be signed up in Summer Reading to register. Call 657.8256, stop by the Children’s Desk to register.
- Thursday Morning Program: Discover Seashells with an Island Princess. July 5th 10:30-11am. No registration required!
- Read to a Dog. July 7th 10:30am. Each child will be able to sign up on the day of the program and have a chance to read to one dog. This program is for reading-age children who like to read, children who have a hard time reading, or children that just like to be with dogs, to sit and enjoy the calming comforts of a dog.
- Writers Workshop (as part of the Young Author’s Contest) on July 10th & 24th 3pm in Billings Public Library’s Computer Classroom. Ages 8-12.
Faith E Playground
- Summer Fun at the playground! Every Wednesday at 11am and Thursday at 6pm. Each week has a different theme. Bubbles, sidewalk chalk, splash and so much more!
- Crafts for the kids multiple times a week. Check their calendar for more specifics. Some classes do have a charge, while others are free (just pay for main item and Michaels provides the supplies)
Montana Audubon Center
- Open House every Wednesday from 4-7pm and Saturdays 9-2pm. Open House is a great house is a great time to explore the great outdoors and ask a naturalist any questions you might have.
- Every Thursday, Saturday and Sunday starting at 12pm. Free family activities, including yard games, crafts and catch and release pond.
- Oasis Wet. Every Friday Night 7-9pm at Oasis Waterpark. No charge to get in, food and beverages available for purchase. This is just for the middle schoolers, there will be music food and fun!
- Alive after 5, every Thursday in downtown Billings. The location and bands changes weekly so check the calendar for details! Enjoy live music and a fun time. Admission is free for under 21 and $2 for over 21.
St. John’s – Fred & Marie Miller Pavilion
St. John’s Summer Concert Series- every Thursday, July 12-August 9 at the Fred & Marie Miller Pavilion, corner of Rimrock and Shiloh. Opening act at 6pm; Main act at 7pm. Admission is free. (Food Court available). Bands change weekly, so check the calendar for details! #MusicUndertheRims.
- Gardeners Market. Fresh produce, live music, and fun family activities every Thursday evening from 4:30-6:30pm at South Park from June 14th-October 4th.
This House of Books
- Poetry Open Mic Night Tuesdays in July at 5pm.
- Country Line Dancing at Rimrock Mall Tuesdays at 7pm. No partner or experience needed!
- Wrecking Clowns Dance Crew Performance and Workshop at Rimrock Mall July 7th 1-3pm
City of Laurel
- 4th of July Parade starts at 11am. Fireworks at dark (Thomson Park)
Harvest Church at Castle Rock Park
- Celebrate Freedom 4th of July Fireworks – Castle Rock Park July 4th A 4th of July family festival including: inflatable’s, face painting, games, $3 food & .50 snacks, live music & a thundering choreographed fireworks show at dark.
- First Friday Free Night. July 6th 6-8pm. Visit Wise Wonders every first Friday of the month for Free from 6-8pm.
- Volunteer at Wise Wonders with GoUnite on July 10th at 5:30pm. Pitch in and offer a helping hand and help do a deep clean on their facility. Bring the kiddos and they can help clean for a while and then play a little bit too.
Billings Strider Bike Park Build
- Billings Strider Bike Park Build – Trailsend Park 18th St & Burlington Ave July 14th Bring your shovels, boots and gloves and come volunteer. There will also be a raffle for three 12 inch Strider balance bikes to raise additional project funds.
Billings Kiwanis Movie Under the Stars
- July 14th at Will James Middle School. Starts at Dusk. Peter Rabbit. No outside food or beverages. All concession proceeds go to Billings Family YMCA
Big Sky State Games
- Big Sky State Games are coming up from July 20th through 22nd. Viewing the games is free!
- Yellowstone Valley Farmers Market is every Saturday Starting July 21 through October 6th 8am-12pm. Fresh produce, food trucks, local vendors and live music.
Petsmart (Both Locations)
- Camp Critters Part 2. July 21st 12-3pm. Your child will transform into royalty with a custom crown as they learn about the magical world fish live in.
Movies in the Park
- July 21st at Dusk at Pioneer Park. Watch Ferdinand. Concessions, face painting, and more!
- July 27th at Dusk at Rose Park. Watch Peter Rabbit. Concessions, face painting, and more!
- Kids Klub Archery on Monday July 23rd at 6pm. This is for ages 4-12. Archery is a sport everyone can learn to enjoy. The Scheels team will give you all the tips.
Pierce RV Supercenter
- Big Sky International Balloon Rendezvous. Come watch the hot air balloons inflate each morning in the field next to Pierce RV (weather permitting)!
**Balloons will lift off at 6am each morning during the 3-day event July 27-29 (weather permitting).
Yellowstone Art Museum
Hilltop Inn & Suites Free Day- 10am-5pm at Yellowstone Art Museum on July 28th. Admission is free all day for everyone. Sponsored by Hilltop Inn & Suites.
Montana Shakespeare in the Parks
- Montana Shakespeare in the Parks presents Love’s Labour’s Lost on July 28th at 6pm in Veterans Park, 2609 13th St W. Free. Bringing a night of light and love to MSIP’s audiences. Bring a picnic and a blanket or chair for a night of theater under the Big Sky.
- Montana Shakespeare in the Parks presents Othello on July 29th at 6pm in Veterans Park, 2609 13th St W. Free. For the first time in MSIP’s 46 years, they’re presenting this Shakespearean tragedy. Bring a picnic, a blanket or a chair for a night of theater under the Big Sky.
For a look at more happenings around town, check out SFM’s online calendar!
about the author…A stay at home mom hoping to survive the summer with 2 kiddos.