Father’s Day is right around the corner. What in the world do you get the guy who has everything? Sometimes, the best presents are not purchased in stores. It’s time to roll up your sleeves and create the best Father’s Day present ever!
- Acrylic paint in assorted colors
- Start by selecting the canvas size and paint colors that you want to use. Every handprint needs to be a different color. *I tried to pick colors that represent each person in my family and also coordinate well.
- The next step is the most fun and hands-on. Use the paintbrush to paint acrylic paint on dad’s right hand. Make sure to cover the whole hand, but be careful not to use too much paint. The goal is for it to resemble a handprint, not a blob.
- Place dad’s painted right hand on the canvas. Go slow and press firmly on the canvas. After leaving the hand in place for ten seconds, remove it. Now, fill in any areas on the handprint that need a bit of extra paint.
- Allow the handprint to dry on the canvas, and proceed to mom’s (or the next oldest child’s) handprint. Make sure to use a different paint color. Repeat all of the steps above until every family member has a handprint on the canvas. *Remember to layer one on top of the other a bit.
- Finally, finish off with the family name or date on the bottom, and frame if desired.
I can’t think of a better present to give this Father’s Day. Our whole family laughed together, and I had a tear in my eye when I looked at the adorable handprints on the canvas. This will be a keepsake to be looked upon for years with full and grateful hearts.
about the author…Jessica Robbins has lived in Billings, MT for 15 years and is proud to call Montana home! She is married to her husband Zach and has two beautiful girls. She loves refurbishing furniture, crafting, and playing with her children.
Originally printed in the pages of Simply Family Magazine’s June 2018 issue.
Never miss an issue, check out SFM’s digital editions, here!
featured photo by Jana Graham Photography