Originally printed in the pages of Simply Family Magazine’s November 2017 issue.
Never miss an issue, check out SFM’s digital editions, here!
November is America’s traditional month for turkey consumption. So what better food to serve your family than our hearty, tummy warming chicken chili? (Also adaptable with turkey meat of course.)
- 1-2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2) or thighs (4-6), cooked and shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped Anaheim (or other mild) peppers; fresh, canned, or frozen
- 1 jalapeño chili, chopped, fresh or frozen
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes (or equivalent fresh)
- 2 cups frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 3-1/2 cups (two-three 12 oz cans) cooked white and/or red chili seasoned beans
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Cilantro (minced)
- In a large pan, sauté the onion and chilis until soft.
- Add all other ingredients to the pan, except for the toppings.
- Simmer for approximately 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to satisfy your taste.
- Stir well and dish up.
- Before serving, add a handful of tortilla chips, top with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh minced cilantro for a colorful presentation.
about the author…Carole Davenport is a Montana travel writer-photographer and content specialist on her blog https://divineviewtraveler.wordpress.com. She is co-authoring a soon-to-be-released cookbook #bitterrootfresh with her two daughters, filled with their original recipes and photographs.