Originally printed in the pages of Simply Family Magazine’s October 2017 issue. Never miss an issue, check out SFM’s digital editions, here!
Article by Stephanie Toews
Photos By Erin James
The weather is changing outside, but that doesn’t mean you can’t bring some sunshine indoors. This super-simple DIY is both a practical and beautiful way to dress up your dining room table and store your silverware at arm’s length.
- 5/8″ pine wood pieces
- 2 – 17″ x 5″ boards for the sides
- 1- 4 3/6″ x 17″ board for the bottom
- 2 – 6 1/2″x 5″ boards for the ends
*These dimensions were decided after the jars were picked out for the inside. They can be altered to fit whatever size jars you decide to use.
- Finishing nails or wood glue
- Wood stain or wax (optional)
- 2 cabinet handles of your choice
- 3 or 4 mason jars
- Cut wood blocks to the desired length. *Hint- the hardware store will cut wood to your measurements for you.
- Begin assembling the box either using wood glue or finishing nails.
- Once the glue dries, start painting your box inside and out. Allow time to dry and apply another coat of paint.
- After the paint has dried, sand all four sides of the box with sandpaper for a nice smooth finish and wipe off dust.
- Apply wood stain or wax to seal.
Store anything from silverware to flowers in your beautiful table centerpiece. Change the contents out seasonally to mix things up.