It’s arrived. The invite to the latest baby shower. Sure you could hit the stores, but there’s something extra special about putting the time, effort, and love into creating a handmade gift. Which is exactly what I want to share in this blog, how to make a super easy handmade baby shower gift because, honestly, who doesn’t like sewing with really cute fabric and giving a handmade gift!?
My mom taught me to sew when I was about 10 or 11, but I didn’t do much with it until I was in my 20s and from there was self-taught. I love any excuse to sew, it’s therapeutic and a creative outlet for me. Now, I’m not some uber, over the top talented sewer. I try to let the fabric speak for itself in simple easy designs. That’s exactly what we’re offering up today with step-by-step instructions for a flannel swaddling blanket with matching burp cloth set.
How to make a flannel swaddling blanket with two matching burp cloth set:
- 1 1/4 yard patterned flannel print of choice
- 1/4 yard solid or coordinating print flannel to match your primary print
To make 2 burp cloths:
- Cut 1/4 yard section off of your 1 1/4 yard flannel print, then cut in half.
- Pin the 1/4 yard print and contrast solid/print, right sides, together and repeat with the other two pieces.
- Sew (1/2 inch seam allowance) the 1/4 yard pieces together, leaving a 4 inch opening in the seam to turn inside out.
- Clip corners, turn the burp cloth right side out, press and fold in the seam of the opening and then pin.
- Top stitch the burp cloths and viola- you’re done!
To make swaddling blanket:
- Square off your fabric, press out (1/2 inch) roll hem around the blanket’s edge.
- Top stitch opposite sides of the blanket, then follow with the other two sides.
- Press and you’re done!
Here are some of the examples I’ve made for gifts: