I love my children. Honestly, I do. More than life itself. But sometimes, I have to question our decision (sanity) to have three precious darlings so close together — oh that’s right, baby number three was a surprise. A blessed surprise, but a surprise nonetheless. Most days are wonderful; some are insane. Almost every day includes at least one (or ten) moments in which I am left scratching my head like, “what the heck were we thinking?”
But then my little angels (ahem) do something so precious, I can’t help but overlook the blue chapstick they’ve somehow managed to get their hands on, and smear all over the walls. True story. How can you stay angry when you’ve got the cutest smiling face peering up at you, saying “mama, I love you!” Come on now, have a heart. The answer is you can’t. That’s all there is to it. All you can do is laugh. And look for the can of extra wall paint. Otherwise you will cry. And cry and cry and cry.
Considering adding baby number three (or four) to the mix? I say go for it, mama! But be prepared. It isn’t always going to be gumdrops and rainbows. Most of the time it will not be gumdrops and rainbows. This is not The Brady Bunch, folks. This is real life. And real life is messy. Here are 25 thoughts that go through my mind in any given 24-hour period. Keep in mind I have an almost 4-year-old, a 2-year-old, and a brand new baby on my hands. All girls. #sendprayers #andwine #andmaybeagiantbagofmoney
- I am never going to get a good night’s sleep again. And not because of the baby. Why must the 2 year old insist on getting up before 6 a.m.? For the love, why?
- Why does everyone want to be fed all at once? And once I make the breakfast, why won’t anyone eat the breakfast? I might as well put the breakfast directly into the trashcan. It would save a lot of time and energy.
- Why does my almost 4-year-old want to wear the same long-sleeved, winter dress every single day? We live in Texas. It is literally 100 degrees outside.
- Where did all the diapers go?
- If we have cheese and crackers for snack, do I have to feed them lunch?
- Where did all the crayons go?
- If I give a toddler 10 baths in one day, do I have to wash her the rest of the week?
- Oh yeah, I have a newborn. I wonder when she woke up from her nap. I wonder how long she has been screaming, and how long the baby monitor has been unplugged. Whoopsies.
- Is 2 p.m. too early for a drink?
- No, for the billionth time. I will not take all three of you to the pool by myself.
- When is Daddy getting home?
- Is 2:30 p.m. too early for a drink?
- Who wants to (quietly) watch a movie? Zootopia, it is!
- Nap time is NOT negotiable. Go to sleep, toddler terrorist!
- Stop stealing toys from your sister!
- I wonder what my friend without children is doing right now. Probably eating lunch at some fabulous restaurant on her break from work at her equally fabulous job. I wonder what my friend with only one child is doing right now. Probably sipping margaritas by the pool that we can’t go to. Jerks.
- Did I shower today? I honestly can’t remember.
- That’s it. It’s 3:30. Cocktail hour has officially begun…If only.
- What should I make for dinner?
- No, you cannot feed the dog chocolate.
- No, you cannot feed the baby goldfish.
- Where is my iPhone? And why is it disabled for 49 minutes?
- That’s it. We are ordering pizza for dinner, and everyone is going to bed by 7.
- I really am so lucky these crazy kiddos are mine. Really, I mean it. Now pass me the remote and the rest of the “dog chocolate.” I’m wiped.
About the author…After three blissful years in the Treasure State, Jessica recently moved back to Houston, Texas with her hunky husband and her three precious little girls, Savannah Leigh, Emma Kate, and Brooklyn Olivia. Jessica is a small business owner with a degree in Broadcast Journalism, and a nerd-like love for political science. She is passionate about writing, marketing, social media management, and this wonderfully beautiful mess we call parenthood.