A kitchen is more than just a stunning backsplash and gorgeous cabinets. Integrate these thoughtful tips from Beyond the Box, Inc. kitchen design expert Debbie Ferguson when planning your kitchen remodel for a space that is functional and easy to work and live in.
- Think about what your goals are for the space. How long do you plan on staying there? Two years? Ten years? Forever?
- If you are planning on two years, you probably don’t have as many “MUST haves”. Ten years, get what you want. If you plan to live in the home forever, think about what will be functional when you are 80.
- Make the kitchen functional for you. If you love to bake, be strategic about where you put your mixer and your baking essentials. They should be close for convenience.
- A backsplash can make your kitchen POP. Think dress with tennis shoes vs. cute pumps.
- Eliminate wasted steps. Think about how and where you use kitchen items.
- It is easy to get caught up in the newest designs, but you need to ask yourself if it is going to last the long term.
- Work with the what you have. It may be a wonderful design idea, but will it work with your space? What will work better?
- Plug it in. Install multiple outlets along the backsplash so you’ll have electricity wherever you need it.
- Think ahead and don’t be afraid to incorporate old with the new.
**Remember- your kitchen is the most important room in your home, it nourishes the body and soul.
You might also like: Rise and Design: beyond the box, inc from the pages of SFM’s March issue
photo by Jana Graham Photography