January 31st is Inspire Your Heart with Art Day, and we live in a wonderful community full of so many opportunities to be inspired. Introducing our children to creativity and art at an early age is so wonderful and there are many ways we can do this.
Inspire Your Heart With Art in Billings At…
Whether it’s the Alberta Bair Theater, Billings Studio Theatre or NOVA Center for the Performing Arts there are some great plays, musicals and concerts to attend as a family. Our daughter is a dancer and we plan to attend The Cinderella Ballet at ABT to inspire her in her dancing dreams.
Yellowstone Art Museum
Visit our wonderful Art museum on Docent 2nd Saturday for art for kids. These events run from fall through spring. This is the perfect way to inspire children with a tour of the current exhibitions followed by an opportunity for them to participate in a hands-on art activity. Check their website for details.
In Good Glazes
With their quarterly Kids Night Out parties there’s no better time to get them out and get their creative juices flowing. Make it a family night that is sure to be unforgettable!
Billings Public Library
Check their schedule for great opportunities to encourage not only reading but also hands on creative projects focusing on Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math and making them fun! Fridays from 3pm-5pm they have Friday Fun Craft Corner with Lego’s and games out for them to play.
Create art at home
My children love it when we plan art projects to do together. I put on some music and we create together. Sometimes I don’t plan a specific project. I just set out the supplies and let them use their imaginations to come up with beautiful works of art that they are so proud of. Here is a fun project that we made together.
Mini Picasso Canvas
(see photos below)
- Painter’s tape
- Tape off canvas creating any pattern you would like. Make sure to press it down firmly so that the paint doesn’t bleed through.
- Paint different colors in each section or, allow them to mix colors for another look.
- Allow paint to dry and peel off tape.
Voila! Your one of a kind artwork is finished.
Here is another super simple spring inspired project sure to brighten any winter day:
Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining
- White cardstock or paper plate
- Cotton balls
- Ribbon (red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple)
- Wiggly eyes
- Have children cut out their own version of a cloud.
- Glue cotton balls on the cloud
- Cut strips of ribbon to desired length and then glue them to the back of cloud in rainbow pattern. Allow to dry
- Glue on wiggle eyes
- Cut mouth out of construction paper and glue in place.
Feeling inspired? I know I’m excited to get out and get cultured with so many great activities right in our amazing town!